Toys and Trouble

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Mattel

Pros

Great benefits. Overall pleasant place to work.

Cons

Company reorganization/outsourcing is unsettling. Limited growth potential.

Advice to Management

Keep your talent.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Frustrating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Mattel

Pros

Great pay & benefits. Problem is, they suck you in and you find it hard to leave. For career growth, best to stay a couple years, get a promotion, then move on. If you're a director or above, it's a pretty good gig, and you're well protected.

Cons

A highly politically charged environment. If you aren't part of the in crowd, or don't play the politics just right, don't expect to get anywhere. It's a very dysfunctional company, where rules continually change. HR isn't really there to help you in your career growth, they're just on the sidelines to protect management when needed. And many times they aren't involved in the decision making. Layoffs for managers & below are frequent (once a year or so) and stressful.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your people. Hire more workers (managers and below), and get rid of some of your dead weight (directors and above). I've never seen a company more top-heavy on directors, VPs and above. Listen to your workers more to weed out bad upper management.

It's on the Top 100 Best places to work for a reason... It does make sense to me.

Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel

Pros

Although I have only been here for a short time, I got really nervous looking at some the feedback prior to accepting the job offer. There was some really critical things that turned me off based on the reviews. However through the interview process I did not find the concerns raised to be reflective of the people I met with. Under a year with Mattel and I can share with all that read this, that I am EXTREMELY happy with my decision to move here. I had a great gig where I was at before, so I had no reason to move except for the challenge of working at the largest toy maker. The biggest 'pro" for me so far is the people I work with. I have really been impressed with the cordial and friendly atmosphere that seems to be all over. There are some unhappy people, don't get me wrong, but from what I can tell, its seems to be from very old time folks who are still upset about the layoffs that happened a few years ago and restructuring that's taken place. But all in all, I'm very happy so far. Comp and benefits is really good too. Love having Xmas to New Years off without affecting vacation, sweet!! Plus everyone is off too, so email and backlog is almost non-existant when come back after the New Year. Double sweet!

Cons

In regards to politics, I have observed the concern raised by others, but the reality is that exists in every large organization. One difference here I noticed is that people do 'check-in' with folks not because it's the political thing to do, but because they want to be inclusionary (which is not a bad thing) when making big decisions. The HQ office is tough to get too unless you live in the west side of LA area. Although they have an onsite cafe with lots of variety, there are very few dining options (walking distance) when you just feel like going outside. Parking also sucks unless you got a reserved spot that is not just for compact cars (very minor irritation).

Advice to Management

Try to continue to communicate the direction, you cannot have too much. There are still people (from what I can tell) who still don't "get" what is happening. We have great products, we have a good place to work. What seems to frustrate long-time employees is the accordian approach last few years (expand and cut back, expand and cut back). But I can't speak to that since I can only reflect on 2010 & 2011.