Mattel
www.mattel.com El Segundo, CA 5000+ Employees

Frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat pay & benefits. Problem is, they suck you in and you find it hard to leave.
For career growth, best to stay a couple years, get a promotion, then move on.
If you're a director or above, it's a pretty good gig, and you're well protected.

ConsA highly politically charged environment. If you aren't part of the in crowd, or don't play the politics just right, don't expect to get anywhere.
It's a very dysfunctional company, where rules continually change. HR isn't really there to help you in your career growth, they're just on the sidelines to protect management when needed. And many times they aren't involved in the decision making.
Layoffs for managers & below are frequent (once a year or so) and stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging your people. Hire more workers (managers and below), and get rid of some of your dead weight (directors and above). I've never seen a company more top-heavy on directors, VPs and above. Listen to your workers more to weed out bad upper management.

It's on the Top 100 Best places to work for a reason... It does make sense to me.

Manager (Current Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel

Pros: Although I have only been here for a short time, I got really nervous looking at some the feedback prior to accepting the job offer.… Cons: In regards to politics, I have observed the concern raised by others, but the reality is that exists in every large organization. One difference… Advice to Senior Management: Try to continue to communicate the direction, you cannot have too much. There are still people (from what I can tell) who still don't… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Mattel is a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mattel

Pros: Mattel has good benefits, amenities and is in a great location. There is… Cons: Mattel asks a lot of its employees. There is a lot of work which… Advice to Senior Management: Mattel needs to spend a lot more time and effort on training its supervisors how to be supervisors, and how… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Mattel.

Worked for Mattel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mattel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mattel CEO Bryan G. Stockton. All reviews posted anonymously by Mattel employees.