Part Time College Student

Current Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

A low-stress environment in which a person can gain valuable sales experience as well as personal interaction with customers.

Cons

Slow sales environment in the mattress industry.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Can be slow at times, but the opportunity for income is there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Income potential
    Great people
    A senior leadership team that has a combined fifty years in the industry (in the WI franchise)
    Vendor representatives constant training makes for a more knowledgable staff

Cons

Commission based salary can be low during slow times
    Prmotions based strictly off sales numbers regardless of attitude, leadership ability or customer service skills

Advice to Management

Promote people based on their actual skills in sales, customer service and leadership instead of just basing it off of arbitrary sales numbers, which can be manipulated

Not horrible, but can be very draining for those seeking a more professional environment

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mattress Firm

Pros

Hiring process normally is quick and easy - great for individuals who need a job FAST due to unemployment or financial hardship. Training/development is great. Mattress Firm does invest in an extensive on-going training program. Only promotes from within-so no outsiders can become CEO. Growth opportunities available. Co-workers and most upper management do provide a fun working environment. Decent commissions pay. Opportunities for $$$ incentives through company wide and/or district competitions.

Cons

Although can be a quick and easy hiring process, not the best place for those professionals who have a strong background in leadership/management/business (or any profession at that matter). Mattress Firm tends to treat new associates as cattle (the ones who aren't easily influenced are the ones who REALIZE it, everyone else goes with the flow). In my experience, upper management NEVER got to know me outside of the sales floor. I was never asked about my background, what I do well, and what would I ultimitely like to be doing for the company, and because of that, I was turned off from ANY idea of promotion and I soon started a new job hunt. I could have brought MUCH more to the table professionally, but 4-5 months after working here, I soon realized that a person like me would eventually be working BELOW their potential (even as an AM or DM). I am great at sales, but quickly got tired of retail, therefore I would have liked to see more opportunity within the Atlanta market for those individuals who wanted out of the stores, but still wanted to contribute to the company. During my interview, a picture was painted that once I put in work on the floor, I could quickly go to ANY area of the company - especially in Atlanta because of the growth and new positions being created "AS WE SPEAK". Unfortunately, none of that was true. From what I saw, there is such a LOOOONG path out of the sales floor. And knowing myself, the only way I would have fit would have been in corporate - which would have required a move to Texas, but again, I was quickly turned off from the idea. Even the role of an Area Manager consisted of sending out daily emails of do's and dont's, shout outs to top performers of the day, and visiting their stores once a week, while still having the pressures of sales. Most AM's in other companies work out of an office and focus on the success of their stores - THEY DO NOT WORK ON THE FLOOR. I guess my point is that this is a typcial retail job (even as an AM or DM) and you could find more professional work environments at other companies even as a young executive and still get paid MUCH more with less stress. So my resolve is to get out as quickly as possible before I got sucked in. I couldn't see myself working for Mattress Firm longer than a year. It was so hard getting out of the retail industry with the company on my resume for some reason, but thankfully I did. During interviews, I had one recruiter tell me that being a manager in retail is completely different then in corporate America. That really opened my eyes to the point that the career and growth opportunities at Mattress Firm may not be best for those individuals who have potential in becoming an Executive or Board member. Because even after 5, 10, 15+ years as an District Manager, you're still stuck in the "retail" lable, and most corporations see retail as simply babysitting a store and/or people. ***This is just from my personal experience ONLY*******Something to think about***

Advice to Management

Learn how to be honest with new associates concerning the TRUE nature of growth opportunities - bottom line, most opportunities are just busy work disquised as a promotion. Learn how discern between the TRUE leader and the TRUE salesperson - there is a big difference. Too many opportunities are given to individuals who have high numbers but have no leadership/management experience. Too many of your Area/District managers are not mature enough for these roles.