Mattress Firm

www.mattressfirm.com

Not horrible, but can be very draining for those seeking a more professional environment

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Hiring process normally is quick and easy - great for individuals who need a job FAST due to unemployment or financial hardship. Training/development is great. Mattress Firm does invest in an extensive on-going training program. Only promotes from within-so no outsiders can become CEO. Growth opportunities available. Co-workers and most upper management do provide a fun working environment. Decent commissions pay. Opportunities for $$$ incentives through company wide and/or district competitions.

Cons

Although can be a quick and easy hiring process, not the best place for those professionals who have a strong background in leadership/management/business (or any profession at that matter). Mattress Firm tends to treat new associates as cattle (the ones who aren't easily influenced are the ones who REALIZE it, everyone else goes with the flow). In my experience, upper management NEVER got to know me outside of the sales floor. I was never asked about my background, what I do well, and what would I ultimitely like to be doing for the company, and because of that, I was turned off from ANY idea of promotion and I soon started a new job hunt. I could have brought MUCH more to the table professionally, but 4-5 months after working here, I soon realized that a person like me would eventually be working BELOW their potential (even as an AM or DM). I am great at sales, but quickly got tired of retail, therefore I would have liked to see more opportunity within the Atlanta market for those individuals who wanted out of the stores, but still wanted to contribute to the company. During my interview, a picture was painted that once I put in work on the floor, I could quickly go to ANY area of the company - especially in Atlanta because of the growth and new positions being created "AS WE SPEAK". Unfortunately, none of that was true. From what I saw, there is such a LOOOONG path out of the sales floor. And knowing myself, the only way I would have fit would have been in corporate - which would have required a move to Texas, but again, I was quickly turned off from the idea. Even the role of an Area Manager consisted of sending out daily emails of do's and dont's, shout outs to top performers of the day, and visiting their stores once a week, while still having the pressures of sales. Most AM's in other companies work out of an office and focus on the success of their stores - THEY DO NOT WORK ON THE FLOOR. I guess my point is that this is a typcial retail job (even as an AM or DM) and you could find more professional work environments at other companies even as a young executive and still get paid MUCH more with less stress. So my resolve is to get out as quickly as possible before I got sucked in. I couldn't see myself working for Mattress Firm longer than a year. It was so hard getting out of the retail industry with the company on my resume for some reason, but thankfully I did. During interviews, I had one recruiter tell me that being a manager in retail is completely different then in corporate America. That really opened my eyes to the point that the career and growth opportunities at Mattress Firm may not be best for those individuals who have potential in becoming an Executive or Board member. Because even after 5, 10, 15+ years as an District Manager, you're still stuck in the "retail" lable, and most corporations see retail as simply babysitting a store and/or people. ***This is just from my personal experience ONLY*******Something to think about***

Learn how to be honest with new associates concerning the TRUE nature of growth opportunities - bottom line, most opportunities are just busy work disquised as a promotion. Learn how discern between the TRUE leader and the TRUE salesperson - there is a big difference. Too many opportunities are given to individuals who have high numbers but have no leadership/management experience. Too many of your Area/District managers are not mature enough for these roles.

Other reviews for Mattress Firm

Incredible opportunity for a rewarding career!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Advancement
    Training
    Pride in doing a great job
    Commission
    Ownership of position
    Earning potential
    Being the best in the industry

Cons

Work life balance
    Working on Sundays
    Middle management hand off approach to issues
    Moves that seemingly do not match performance

Take over customer issues when they get to a certain point.
    Financially protect you're employees somehow from returns.

I am new and already it is a fast paced, exciting, rewarding career.

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

It is a GREAT inviorment to spend your time. Not only as an employee but also as a customer of the Mattress Firm.
    The pay is better then everything else around in Utah.
    Great Insurance!
    Opportunity to move up and expand in the company isn't based on senority but on your personal results in the company.
    If you prove after 6 months of employment that you are better in the Store Manager Position the whomever is there currently, you have a an enourmous opportunity to recieve that position.
    Bonus Structure is set up to make the employee's happy which inturn will make the company happy!
    You are not just a number or name in this company. It's a family feel here at work.

Cons

I no longer walk to work.
    90 day waiting period for Insurance.

Stay Fantastic!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm.

Worked for Mattress Firm? Contribute to the Community!