Mattress Firm

Come on son!

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Memphis, TN
Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

flexibility to make certain decisions, great sales training

Cons

long hours, to many holiday sales

offer a holiday bonus and stop extending hours for every little holiday

Mattress Firm Response

Aug 15, 2013Director of Talent Acquisition and Retention

Thanks for your feedback!

342 Other Employee Reviews for Mattress Firm (View Most Recent)

An Honest, In-Depth Review of Mattress Firm, Inc.

Former Employee - Area Manager
    Former Employee - Area Manager

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at Mattress Firm for 3 years in different aspects of the organization: Area Manager, Market Recruiter, Market Training Manager, Market Trainer, Store Manager, and Special Projects (opening/closing new locations). I onboarded with the company immediately after finishing my bachelors and I excelled in the company even while pursuing an MBA.

Since opinions and reviews about this organization tend polarize rather sharply (i.e., I LOVE THIS PLACE or I HATE THIS PLACE, etc.), I thought I would add three pieces of valuable information from someone who is no longer working there to anyone considering applying.

First, Mattress Firm hires people with little to no work experience, invests a significant amount of money into training them to be successful, and exposes them to a variety of different aspects of business. For example, within 2 months of finishing college, I was responsible for merchandising, sales management, store budgets, training, and staffing. Less than a year later, I had a team of 9 and ran multiple stores. These experiences and opportunities allowed me to find something that I loved (training) and specialized in that. Opportunities for advancement at the store level are present in every market. Getting promoted to DM is a little bit trickier, but still very doable if you are willing to relocate. In summary, you’ll get plenty of training and exposure to different aspects of business.

Second, and I would say MOST IMPORTANTLY, is the fact that your overall experience in the organization STRONGLY depends on who your boss is. Much more so than other retailers. Based on my experience in this organization, roughly half of the leadership team (DM and above) are great managers/leaders, and the other half are terrible. At Mattress Firm, at least in the eyes of those actually working in the stores and selling beds, there are rarely “ok” or “moderate” bosses – you’re either working with a rising star DM, or stuck with terrible boss who will make your life hell.

At MF, I had 2 hands down, amazing bosses – two individuals who really cared about my career development, who really cared about my life outside of selling mattresses. Later I found myself reporting to a DM who frequently swore at his employees. This guy had me work 15 days straight (in 10-11 hour shifts) because we had no coverage due to turnover, and because he said it was “building character”. He denied my team’s sick/vacation all the time without reason, made frequent vulgar and inappropriate remarks in the store, and raised budgets (sales quotas) on good performing employees that he didn’t like because he wanted to “weed” them out. Basically, he was an HR nightmare. It was such a stark contrast, at one point in my MF career my team (Area) is crushing sales budgets with an awesome DM and leading the market – then our district got a new DM who told us that he was committed to “cleaning house” and the majority of my team quit and went to either Sleep Experts or Rooms 2 Go. It was a bad experience. So much so, that I resigned and ended what looked like a promising career.

Like all jobs, a lot (not all, but a lot) of your success and overall happiness in the organization is predicated on your relationship with your boss. Based on my experience in Texas, you have a 50% chance of either having a great boss, or a terrible one. It’s like flipping a coin. It was hard to figure why so many poor managers stayed in leadership for so long.

Finally, make sure you enjoy sales and are a good culture fit for a performance based retailer. Mattress Firm has an outstanding company culture – the sales people are great. They were rated as one of the best places to work in multiple rankings. However, if you don’t enjoy sales, retail management, and meeting new people every day, you won’t enjoy being there. If you do, MF could be an awesome career for you. Mattress Firm is a great opportunity for career ambitious, sales people.

Cons

There are downsides to working in every organization. The previous Mattress Firm reviewers mentioned things like hours and pay, but frankly, I don’t buy that. They knew what the hours were when they onboarded; they knew how commission against draw worked too. Everyone does.

I only have one real “con” to mention and I think it’s critical. As I said before, your happiness and success at Mattress Firm depends on the District Manager that you are under. Unfortunately, there are quite a few really, REALLY bad District Managers. About half of the DM staff have the potential to make your life a living nightmare.

Things like canceling your off days without notice, publicly humiliating bottom performers in meetings, and good ole fashioned yelling at employees. While there are really good DMs out there, between the 4 markets I know well, there are plenty of bad apples.

My advice is directed to Executive Leadership Team.

(1) Consider conducting more anonymous organizational surveys for field associates – their feedback is valuable and they understand what’s happening in the field better than HQ in Houston. Also, it boosts morale.

(2) Develop an E-Learning platform that actually works. Is it expensive? Yeah, it is. Will it raise sales skills and more importantly sales margin? Yeah, it will. Look at the research, retailers that invest in blended learning solutions and have customized E-Learning platforms significantly raise associate sales performance, specifically sales margins (i.e., The Container Store, Apple, Mercedes, Etc.).

(3) Double the amount of the specialized training force that you currently have (RTS, Market Trainers, etc.). While you do an above job at training relative to other specialty mattress retailers, you could definitely afford to make it better with the addition of more RTS’ in the field. When people get training, they perform better. When they perform better, share holders make more money and you can hire more people.

(4) Re-evaluate how you fill and back-fill positions in the corporate office. Consider bringing in more candidates from the outside, people with fresh perspective. Example: Just because someone is good at selling mattresses doesn’t mean they understand marketing or planning & allocations, ya know?

Mattress Firm Response

Jul 15, 2013Director of Talent Acquisition + Retention

Thanks so much for your feedback! We really aprpreciate the constructive information you provided.

PLEASE! Don't waste your time!

Former Employee - Area Manager  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

continued training, that is it

Cons

To many to list! I wasted almost 4 years with this company, they will work you as much as possible while dangling the carrot of advancement in front of you, the only positions worth holding are District Manager (or above) and/or corporate, and those go to the YES MEN or women, and the good old boys from Texas! I worked the state fair of Texas and was successful by their standards, yet was fired over false actuations. The work week is no less than 50 hrs and they will continually cut your commissions and store bonuses to fund their new stores and rapid expansion and the bonuses of the upper management! It all sounds great at the start, after management walks all over you, they burn you!

DRUG TEST YOUR EMPLOYEES, several in Nevada are high at work!

There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm

Worked for Mattress Firm? Contribute to the Community!