Best Mattress Retailer

Current Employee - Area Manager
Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding Corporate Culture Transparent and Approachable Upper Management Personal and Company Growth Prospects are STRONG Mainly Promote's from within Strong emphasis on training and career development Performace Based Supportive Colleagues

Cons

Working Hours (it's Retail, duh) Some Inconsistencies in store assignments Not always a level playing field for realizing income potential store to store

Advice to Management

I am one of the 8 Area Manager's in the Jacksonville Market and have been with the company for more than 3 years. In my sales profession I have had the pleasure to be part of many high performing teams in industry leading companies. It must be recognized that there is no "perfect" company. As with individuals they all have their weaknesses. However, in my experience, Mattress Firm is one of the best. Especially as it relates to training,individual encouragement, dedication to being the best in the industry, and recognizing and building on corporate strengths and weaknesses. I am grateful that even though I came to the company as an older individual (I am 57) I was not discriminated against in having opportunities to grow alongside of my younger and hungrier colleagues. I am further grateful that when I decided my happiness meter was running low inmy most recent management position that I was allowed to step back to my current role as a market leader in Jacksonville where I could reunite with my passion for sales and customer interaction. My advice to the company and to the top leadership is simple. During this time of huge corporate expansion please remember the ones that “brung you to the dance”; keep supporting the people who sell the beds. Also I urge you to continue the open, approachable and caring leadership model that attracted so many of the middle managers to the company. I do have a concern that you take another look at bonus compensation, to be sure that it matches the corporate goals and directives AND that the work itself is recognized as having value - rather than tying the whole package to personal sales achievement.

Mattress Firm Response

Apr 14, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Hey Jacksonville Area Manager! Thanks so much for your fantastic review and your dedication to Mattress Firm!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Five 10 hour work days as the only store employee and 4 other Mattress Firms within a mile of mine.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a job. That is all. They will hire you with NO experience as long as you act super cheesy and tell them you love working weekends and holidays

Cons

So many. While I was there, they were labeling us as nonexempt salary workers. That meant they could justify paying us NOTHING extra above our salary (not just no overtime, but literally no extra pay for working above 40 hours) no matter how many hours you work. My draw minimum was presented to me as calculated over a 45 hour work week. As the "store manager" (what a joke) of a clearance center, I worked 5 days open to close in a store all by myself which was 50 hours, not including the BIWEEKLY Saturday morning meetings where I had to drive 50 miles to Tampa on my own dime ("Well why don't you guys carpool to save money!" Says management) which meant a 13 hour work day on those days. We were also buying so many mattress giants and mattress xpress' that we were cannibalizing our own sales. When I left there were FIVE mattress firm's on a one mile strip. We had no competition besides our own team, which in a way was worse.

Advice to Management

Thanks to the class action settlement check sent to me a year after I quit without me asking (turns out a LOT of people were upset about thay whole 53 hour work week) I have nothing to say to this company.

Not ideal long term career - crazy good money for someone with no options

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an ideal company for a college or grad school grad with some type of humanities/liberal arts degree. Face the fact that you wasted your education time on fun, and you can't do anything else. When you arrive at that point, there's hope! Go work at Mattress Firm and earn the high paychecks all of your friends are earning! The catch is that you will work nights and weekends endlessly, while your friends enjoy cookouts and evening/weekend events, because they forfeited all those party opportunities you went to in college to get a worthwhile engineering degree. It's nice to have time to get other things done (homework, etc. hopefully getting a better degree this time), when your store conditions are taken care of and there's no customers in. However, this is "no pay" time - pay time (selling stuff) tends to be a small portion of the day. They start you out in management training and have an amazing training program, which is nice, and the culture can tend to be laid back and fun most of the time.

Cons

There's no official "lunch break", you just have to eat when you have a minute. So you're in the store for about 12 hours a day with no break essentially, although a lot of that time is spent twiddling your thumbs, so it's kind of like having a 10 hour break, but being grounded. It's also very difficult to have long term career goals. You'll find yourself speeding along into store management QUICKLY, and then years to become an area manager (which offers no pay raise) and then MANY years to become a District Manager (which could easily be LESS than the income you could earn on the floor) and by now you're 10-15 years older and still in the same pay bracket.

Advice to Management

Give more incentives to move up in the company, and don't make it so stinking hard to do. Allow a whole hour to leave the store for lunch. Be more accomodating to people with children.

Mattress Firm Response

Apr 29, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Thanks for your review. I would be open to a conversation with you about your career path and growth opportunities. Please feel free to reach out to me!