Mattress Firm

www.mattressfirm.com

Great Growth Opportunity

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

The pay can be great during the months you hit draw and depending on which store you are in. Your coworkers are generally awesome and upper management can be great as well. The culture of the company is great and there is plenty of opportunity to grow. It is not the easiest to get off of the sales floor though but there is opportunity.

Cons

The hours are terrible and you do not get holidays off. Can be hard to even get a weekend off. And it is impossible to call in sick if you cannot find someone to cover your store

Do split shifts. Find a way to give employees at least an hour lunch break. 10 hour work days when you are in a store by yourself with no breaks can be very stressful and depressing

Mattress Firm Response

Apr 29, 2014Vice President Talent Management

Thanks so much for your review! I can assure you that scheduling is high on our radar.

Other reviews for Mattress Firm

Great company Great benefits

Current Employee - Manager On Duty  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Cleveland, OH

Pros

They put the customer first and being employed by them is just as good, great salary for the Cleveland area with the opportunity to make alot more

Cons

If you are a male you have to keep a clean shaven face unless you want a creepy mustache

Change shaving policy

Mattress Firm Response

Apr 14, 2014Vice President Talent Management

Hey Cleveland! Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're working on the beard/mustache policy... stay tuned!

Put on your happy smile and don't question anything

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

I am close with the store managers of the five other stores within three miles of my store. If the boss is in town then they usually tip us off and we can put our ties on. There is also a lot of downtime so I can work on my resume and apply for other jobs on the wireless internet from the restaurant beside us. I've also become really good at telling lies so if I ever decide to cheat on my girlfriend I will be able to look her dead in the eye and tell her I've been at the movies with the guys and have her believe it.

Cons

-Being asked to lie. The sale doesn't actually ever end even though we have lines embedded into our head on how to tell honest customers it ends right away.
    -The hours. Say goodbye to weekends and your family and friends unless they happen to have the same off days as you.
    -Political moves. Store moves make no sense and are more based on who you're friends with than how much you sell. You could be in one city during one quarter and then a month later be fifty miles away. You can't even relocate your family to deal with this since you are always on the move. They don't care how much gas costs or how old your car might be.
    -The sales meetings. As cult like as you'll find this side of Jonestown. Get ready to go around the room and tell why you love Mattress Firm. Seriously. We do that.
    -If your store doesn't hit it's budget then be prepared for everything to fall on you. It will never be that your store didn't get the traffic it should have or that the economy sucks or that ice storm or that unrealistic number they made up or any other factor other than you.
    -The pay. You'll make decent money for retail but it's only your very top sales people in your very best stores who are making anything above median income.
    -I H8 working here.

Stop opening so many stores so close together. Also, stop spending money on junk we don't need and get the IT infrastructure working.

There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm.

Worked for Mattress Firm? Contribute to the Community!