Mattress Firm

Great Company

Current Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay for ambitious sales-people. Tons of opportunity for rapid advancement. Positive company culture makes coming to work enjoyable. Great company to gain management, merchandising, and practical business skills.

Cons

Mediocre benefits. Long hours. No additional compensation for working on holidays. Earnings subject to seasonality.

Every market should have a dedicated full-time trainer (not the District Manager), or the company should provide additional incentive for commissioned sales associates to train new-hires. I would like to see paid vacation earned outside the "draw" system. I would also like the company to contribute more towards our insurance premiums. To attract more qualified working professionals, the company could provide an additional $1,000 per month outside the "draw" system. Require a 4-year degree to avoid hiring so much riff-raff.

May 13, 2014Vice President Talent Management

Thanks for the review from SLC! I appreciate your specific suggestions. If you have any other feedback to share, don't hesitate to reach out to me!

350 Other Employee Reviews for Mattress Firm (View Most Recent)

SEND IN THE CLONES!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent money for some people. (but most sales people only make salary, NO COMMISSION, most of the time)
    Benefits are good.
    Lots of down time to job hunt and send out your resume.

Cons

IF YOU HAVE A MIND OF YOUR OWN STAY AWAY OR PREPARE TO BE BRAINWASHED.

The company doesn't want individuals. If you speak your mind they consider you to be "anti-culture". They only care about their culture, culture, culture. They don't care if you're struggling financially or if you wish to have a personal life. If you aren't prepared and willing to spend your free time promoting Mattress Firm then they target you as not being "all in"

Expectations are unrealistic! The company keeps adding stores because they say 1+1=3... whatever the hell that means. The fact is stores are on top of each other. I have three other Mattress Firm stores within LESS than a quarter mile of my store. So it's extremely difficult to make decent sales consistently because the pie is split up so many ways. Besides that I also have a competing mattress store right next door and a bunch of furniture stores, department stores and a BJs warehouse club ALL SELLING MATTRESSES.

District Managers only care about themselves and the people that are either their friends or their favorites. There is a bunch of favoritism that happens and the corporate office does nothing about it. District Managers don't really help you with sales. They spend most of their time working from their house and being company cheerleaders with email blasts. And if you don't participate in their email blasts with "shout outs" you are again branded as being "anti-culture".

MEETINGS, MEETINGS, MEETINGS. You are forced to attended meetings at least 2-3 times a month all on your own time. Sometimes every week. YOU DO NOT GET PAID ADDITIONAL FOR ATTENDING THESE MEETINGS. They add up to about 10 - 15 hours a month of your own personal time that you donate to the company in order to sit around and be told how great Mattress Firm is and how awful our competition is. If you don't appear to be excited to be there and part of the Mattress Firm "family" you are also going to be branded as "anti-culture".

Ridiculous amount of hours. Be prepared to work over 55-65 hours a week once you factor in the time for meetings. Some weeks you will work over 70 hours! ENJOY! As a matter of fact, sometimes you will be forced to work so many hours that you will receive an "overtime bonus" on you check if you don't earn enough commissions. The reason? Because you've worked so many hours that your salary does not cover the minimum wage. In other words, for that week you worked for less than a McDonald's fry cook!

Favoritism. If you decide to work for this CULT make sure to become friends with the district manager.

1+1 DOES NOT EQUAL 3!
    That's a stupid thing to say. You think that putting stores on top of each other will produce more from each store but it doesn't. If that stupid logic were true then McDonald's would put their restaurants next to each other on the same street and Rooms to Go would build three stores all on the same block. Any intelligent person knows that logic is BS.
    Putting stores on top of each other DOES NOT increase their individual performances. As sales people we can look up what the stores have done before other stores were opened and we can see the TRUTH and the real numbers. Why lie to us?
    When you open stores next to each other it only cannibalizes the business from the other stores... duh.
    1+1 DOES NOT EQUAL 3. Your "clones" may nod in agreement in front of you when Ken Murphy spouts that BS, but behind his back we all laugh at him and call it for what it is - corporate BS dribble.

Jun 12, 2014Vice President Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback. On the hours, we ask you to clock in and out (meetings included) so that if you working more than 50 hours in any given week we can ensure proper compensation. I would ... More

The Real "Culture" is Favoritism

Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It pays more than minimum wage.

Cons

Management is a joke. The company does not promote on ability or performance. Veteran (older) more experienced sales people tend to be passed up for better locations and/or promotions due to what the company calls a "culture-fit". This equates to playing favorites.
    The company does store placements and promotions based on subjective things like attitude, likability, appearances, perceived image, etc. Even when a person has better numbers, stronger sales skills, and more management experience they will be passed up if the district manager likes someone better.
    It's all about favoritism.

Promotions should be on ability; not likability.

Jun 27, 2014Vice President Talent Management

We're sorry to hear you have negative feelings about your management. I would welcome you to reach out to me with specifics on your feedback about promotions.

There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm