Mattress Firm

There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm

Great Company

Current Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay for ambitious sales-people. Tons of opportunity for rapid advancement. Positive company culture makes coming to work enjoyable. Great company to gain management, merchandising, and practical business skills.

Cons

Mediocre benefits. Long hours. No additional compensation for working on holidays. Earnings subject to seasonality.

Every market should have a dedicated full-time trainer (not the District Manager), or the company should provide additional incentive for commissioned sales associates to train new-hires. I would like to see paid vacation earned outside the "draw" system. I would also like the company to contribute more towards our insurance premiums. To attract more qualified working professionals, the company could provide an additional $1,000 per month outside the "draw" system. Require a 4-year degree to avoid hiring so much riff-raff.

May 13, 2014Vice President Talent Management

Thanks for the review from SLC! I appreciate your specific suggestions. If you have any other feedback to share, don't hesitate to reach out to me!

427 Other Employee Reviews for Mattress Firm (View Most Recent)

A Company with Values

Current Employee - Area Manager in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company wants you to succeed.
    Lots of training.
    You get out of it what you put into it.
    Management is accessible and helpful.
    There are many growth roles that you can get into.
    There is a real community feel.
    The company gives back consistently to various causes.

Cons

The retail world has a large requirement of time. It isn't exclusive to Mattress Firm. But if your aren't prepared it can be tough.
    Working around the holidays is another requirement that isn't “fun.”

I have been a Store Manager in Jacksonville for almost three years now. I was promoted to one of the eight Area Manager positions after just over a year of experience. Along the way I have received some of the best hands on training that I have ever experienced. I came into this job with very little background in sales but they helped mold me into an effective communicator, and a sales person who really cares about the guests who come in the door. The company does a very good job of getting me excited to come to work every day. Mattress Firm really allows you to go as far as you want to. The more effort you put into it, the more the company puts their trust in you.
    If I were to offer any advice to the company I would love to see more training of the upper management. I always want to be getting better at what I do and if there were more opportunities to prepare for the next level I would have taken advantage of them.
    My overall experience with the company has been very positive. I feel I get paid well for the work that I do. I feel supported by my boss, as well as his boss. I do not feel micromanaged. I feel trusted. That's really all I can ask of a company.

Apr 14, 2014Vice President Talent Management

Thanks so much for your feedback! We really appreciate it and thanks for your valued employment!

great company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good pay, family/team atmoisphere, some creative freedom, easy to move up, lots of vacation time, same day delivery, discounts and/or free $4000 mattresses!! :)

Cons

When customers get upset with you. Keeping track of inventory is a challenge at a busy clearance center.

Hire people to count stores inventory would put more focus on sales and reduce shrink at the same time.

Apr 29, 2014Vice President Talent Management

Thanks for your review and more importantly for your 10+ years at Mattress Firm!

There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm