Unbelievable!

Current Employee - Sales in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Sales in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're young and dumb, and want a first experience in sales, at least you'll make $30k a year.

Cons

Where do I start? Poor management, poor pay, long hours, cult-like atmosphere where you dedicate your life to the company, no true understanding of how to sell mattresses, emphasis on the very young in our society, Instead of investing in the training of professional salespeople and delivery people, this company invests in rapid, unsustainable growth. Think Krispy Kreme! The most complicated pay plan for salespeople in the industry guarantees that everyone will earn the base pay, with the exception of less than 20% of the total employees. Mattress Firm doesn't beat the competition, but buys them out for a payment above market value!

Advice to Management

What advice can one give to speculators who don't give a rip about the employees or the customers? How about get a conscious and read one of the religious texts that talk about compassion and justice. Oh, I guess that isn't part of your money-making plan.

Other Employee Reviews for Mattress Firm

SEND IN THE CLONES!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent money for some people. (but most sales people only make salary, NO COMMISSION, most of the time) Benefits are good. Lots of down time to job hunt and send out your resume.

Cons

IF YOU HAVE A MIND OF YOUR OWN STAY AWAY OR PREPARE TO BE BRAINWASHED. The company doesn't want individuals. If you speak your mind they consider you to be "anti-culture". They only care about their culture, culture, culture. They don't care if you're struggling financially or if you wish to have a personal life. If you aren't prepared and willing to spend your free time promoting Mattress Firm then they target you as not being "all in" Expectations are unrealistic! The company keeps adding stores because they say 1+1=3... whatever the hell that means. The fact is stores are on top of each other. I have three other Mattress Firm stores within LESS than a quarter mile of my store. So it's extremely difficult to make decent sales consistently because the pie is split up so many ways. Besides that I also have a competing mattress store right next door and a bunch of furniture stores, department stores and a BJs warehouse club ALL SELLING MATTRESSES. District Managers only care about themselves and the people that are either their friends or their favorites. There is a bunch of favoritism that happens and the corporate office does nothing about it. District Managers don't really help you with sales. They spend most of their time working from their house and being company cheerleaders with email blasts. And if you don't participate in their email blasts with "shout outs" you are again branded as being "anti-culture". MEETINGS, MEETINGS, MEETINGS. You are forced to attended meetings at least 2-3 times a month all on your own time. Sometimes every week. YOU DO NOT GET PAID ADDITIONAL FOR ATTENDING THESE MEETINGS. They add up to about 10 - 15 hours a month of your own personal time that you donate to the company in order to sit around and be told how great Mattress Firm is and how awful our competition is. If you don't appear to be excited to be there and part of the Mattress Firm "family" you are also going to be branded as "anti-culture". Ridiculous amount of hours. Be prepared to work over 55-65 hours a week once you factor in the time for meetings. Some weeks you will work over 70 hours! ENJOY! As a matter of fact, sometimes you will be forced to work so many hours that you will receive an "overtime bonus" on you check if you don't earn enough commissions. The reason? Because you've worked so many hours that your salary does not cover the minimum wage. In other words, for that week you worked for less than a McDonald's fry cook! Favoritism. If you decide to work for this CULT make sure to become friends with the district manager.

Advice to Management

1+1 DOES NOT EQUAL 3! That's a stupid thing to say. You think that putting stores on top of each other will produce more from each store but it doesn't. If that stupid logic were true then McDonald's would put their restaurants next to each other on the same street and Rooms to Go would build three stores all on the same block. Any intelligent person knows that logic is BS. Putting stores on top of each other DOES NOT increase their individual performances. As sales people we can look up what the stores have done before other stores were opened and we can see the TRUTH and the real numbers. Why lie to us? When you open stores next to each other it only cannibalizes the business from the other stores... duh. 1+1 DOES NOT EQUAL 3. Your "clones" may nod in agreement in front of you when Ken Murphy spouts that BS, but behind his back we all laugh at him and call it for what it is - corporate BS dribble.

Mattress Firm Response

Jun 12, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback. On the hours, we ask you to clock in and out (meetings included) so that if you working more than 50 hours in any given week we can ensure proper compensation. I would ... More

Good start for sales training, management is poor

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do a nice job of training for the sales process and continually train throughout your employment. Job is relatively easy but also boring. You'll sit in a store for hours by yourself for days on end. You can get a mattress for a decent price through a purchasing program.

Cons

Boring, Scheduling was terrible, Upper Management told bold face lies, job security is poor unless you're a favorite (you'll be a store manager at one of the highest volume/revenue generating stores for one quarter and then get shoved to a low volume/revenue generating store without any notice), & poor work-life balance. Open stores within a couple miles of each other and expect each store to continue to perform to same level. Would not suggest working in the Nashville market. Employees have been leaving hand over foot in the last few months.

Mattress Firm Response

Jun 12, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Thanks for your feedback-- we appreciate it.