There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm

It's more than just selling mattresses.

Current Intern - Executive Sales in Atlanta, GA
Current Intern - Executive Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mattress Firm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The experienece I had interning for Mattress Firm was something that turned into a hobby rather than being an "internship" My experience was more than just selling beds. As an intern, I was able to work on multiple projects and even had the opportunity to work on a community service project that helped local students get school supplies. Interview Process: The interview process was really simple and straight forward. I believe I had 1 phone interview, and 1 on-site interview and a week later I was informed of my acceptance. Training: Amazing training. I knew nothing about mattresses but I was still able to excel in my role. The best part about Mattress Firm's training is that they care about you giving the best experience possible to your guest first, and then learning about the beds. You'll be surrounded with resources who are there to help you succeed. Day to Day: Your day will have a lot of downtime but you can always find ways to be productive and improve your knowledge of the products, and role-play with your co-workers to fully be able to uncover your guest's needs. What you put in, is what you get. Pay: I don't want to go into detail about their pay structure but as an intern, I was very satisfied because give you the opportunity to get paid hourly & make commission on top. Can't complain! Promotion: This company will give you all the opportunities in the world to be promoted. If you do more than just clock in, and clock out, you'll be given an opportunity to grow within the company. Matter of fact, one of the interns from summer 2013, got hired full time right after her internship ended, and got her own store 7-8 months later. Great company if you want to move up the ladder. Culture: Keep in mind that in the end, this is still a sales based company. Your paycheck (depending on position) is mostly based on how well you sell. With that being said, the culture at Mattress Firm reminded me of Google. We did the harlem shake and a bunch of other fun videos as projects. Your co-workers will always give you a shout out and congratulate you whether you sell a $70 frame or a $13,000 bed. - Yes, some people do spend that much on a good nights sleep! As interns, we were able to go out to fun socials, go on multiple boating trips, and even had a nice farewell dinner at the end. All in all, it was a great experience. Couldn't have asked for a better internship. I not only learned a lot, but I was able to use those same tools/skills outside of work too.

Cons

It's a retail position so expect to work long hours, weekends, and holidays. However as an intern, we barely ever went over 40 hours. Your paycheck is mainly based on how well you can sell - this can be a good thing, or a bad thing. You may find that 1 person who is selfish and only cares about themselves. You just have to keep a positive attitude and know that many more people are wanting you to succeed and are there for support. Guys will have to wear a shirt and tie everyday - Again, can be a good thing, or a bad thing. Depends on you.

Advice to Management

I hope you guys continue to create a fun environment at work especially during trainings. Keep supporting the interns and help them succeed!

Jul 9, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Wow! What a nice review of your internship. We certainly appreciate your detailed feedback on the good and the bad of the program. We're so glad you joined us for the summer and hope all is well in ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Mattress Firm

At Mattress Firm, I experienced fantastic teamwork, and was able to gain a wealth of knowledge in sales and leadership.

Former Employee - Area Manager/Store Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Area Manager/Store Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working for Mattress Firm. It was a family oriented/team based career. The pool of leadership is amazing, from the recruiting process, through the company's vision, mission, and goals, I was able to grow quickly and achieve a great level of success through hard work. I was also able to move with the company and gain experience in acquisitions as well. Because of the hard work and team oriented path I stayed on, I was able to provide customers with exceptional service and help the company achieve budget on a regular basis. Doing so, I was compensated well above average!!! $29,000 salary, but reached an avg. of $60K per year through additional bonuses and commissions based of my sales and my team members' performances as well.

Cons

I do not have many cons at all against Mattress Firm. The only reason I left the company was to pursue finishing my degree. The only downside to working for Mattress Firm would be the same at any retail based job; you have to work Saturdays/Sundays and the busiest times are on Holidays where the perception of the SALE to the public is the greatest.

Advice to Management

The best advice I can give to Management would come in the form of training. The company is growing at an exponential rate, and newer employees are having a difficult time picking up on concepts and skills due to the lack of one on one training. There are numerous programs that are helping the company capture more business, but these programs are not being presented at the best level for the guests, because the newer employees have so much on their plate. I was fortunate to receive a simplistic training approach to make the experience for my guests and myself easy, non manipulative, and truly a mutual gain for all parties involved. The buying process "script" is an awesome outline, but too many employees are following it too closely, making their presentations seem robotic. This doesn't allow them to build as much rapport with the guest and lowers the quality of trust, inevitably leading to lower ticket averages, higher returns, and lower conversions. From what I was witnessing, the gap was only growing larger between the exceptional sales individuals and the newer employees. Naturally, the rate of employee turnover is going to increase with the rate of growth Mattress Firm is experiencing. However, I do believe finding a way to involve newer employees with motivational training from top level sales associates and especially more face time with leadership one on one more often will lower turnover and increase total sales.

Jun 27, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Thank you SO much for leaving a review. It's always nice to hear from former associates. And thanks for your advice-- I will be sure to pass that along to our senior leadership.

2. Great place to work

Pros

Good benefits, growth potential, and pay structure

Cons

its still a retail environment with retail hours.

Jul 15, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Thanks for your feedback!