There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm

It's more than just selling mattresses.

Current Intern - Executive Sales in Atlanta, GA
Current Intern - Executive Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mattress Firm as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The experienece I had interning for Mattress Firm was something that turned into a hobby rather than being an "internship"

My experience was more than just selling beds. As an intern, I was able to work on multiple projects and even had the opportunity to work on a community service project that helped local students get school supplies.

Interview Process: The interview process was really simple and straight forward. I believe I had 1 phone interview, and 1 on-site interview and a week later I was informed of my acceptance.

Training: Amazing training. I knew nothing about mattresses but I was still able to excel in my role. The best part about Mattress Firm's training is that they care about you giving the best experience possible to your guest first, and then learning about the beds. You'll be surrounded with resources who are there to help you succeed.

Day to Day: Your day will have a lot of downtime but you can always find ways to be productive and improve your knowledge of the products, and role-play with your co-workers to fully be able to uncover your guest's needs. What you put in, is what you get.

Pay: I don't want to go into detail about their pay structure but as an intern, I was very satisfied because give you the opportunity to get paid hourly & make commission on top. Can't complain!

Promotion: This company will give you all the opportunities in the world to be promoted. If you do more than just clock in, and clock out, you'll be given an opportunity to grow within the company. Matter of fact, one of the interns from summer 2013, got hired full time right after her internship ended, and got her own store 7-8 months later. Great company if you want to move up the ladder.

Culture: Keep in mind that in the end, this is still a sales based company. Your paycheck (depending on position) is mostly based on how well you sell. With that being said, the culture at Mattress Firm reminded me of Google. We did the harlem shake and a bunch of other fun videos as projects.

Your co-workers will always give you a shout out and congratulate you whether you sell a $70 frame or a $13,000 bed. - Yes, some people do spend that much on a good nights sleep!

As interns, we were able to go out to fun socials, go on multiple boating trips, and even had a nice farewell dinner at the end.

All in all, it was a great experience. Couldn't have asked for a better internship. I not only learned a lot, but I was able to use those same tools/skills outside of work too.

Cons

It's a retail position so expect to work long hours, weekends, and holidays. However as an intern, we barely ever went over 40 hours.

Your paycheck is mainly based on how well you can sell - this can be a good thing, or a bad thing.

You may find that 1 person who is selfish and only cares about themselves. You just have to keep a positive attitude and know that many more people are wanting you to succeed and are there for support.

Guys will have to wear a shirt and tie everyday - Again, can be a good thing, or a bad thing. Depends on you.

I hope you guys continue to create a fun environment at work especially during trainings. Keep supporting the interns and help them succeed!

Jul 9, 2014Vice President Talent Management

Wow! What a nice review of your internship. We certainly appreciate your detailed feedback on the good and the bad of the program. We're so glad you joined us for the summer and hope all is well in ... More

reviews filtered by

A GREAT place to WORK & HAVE FUN!

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is very good. I made almost 50K in my first year and haven't made less than 70K the last 5 years. Company values are very high and talked about a lot. For a retail job the work life balance is better than most other retailers. Easy to move up the ladder QUICKLY! Great team work environment with positive culture.

Cons

Down time in stores can be troublesome when you are new. Having to work every weekend also would be a con.

Management does a good job of making work life balance as good as possible. Training is top notch for sales and for management. Leadership is very sharp!

Aug 4, 2014Vice President Talent Management

Hello to you down in South Florida! Glad to hear you have experienced some nice earning and growth opportunity.Thanks for your review!

Great pay, great team, great atmosphere!!

Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great! Strongly enjoy all aspects of my job! The managers are great very open and always trying to help you progress with not just the company but as an individual with sales as well! One of there best mottos that the company believes in is "train your replacement!"

Cons

Retail hours. But you do get off early and come in late on Sunday.

KEEP DOIN' WHAT YOUR DOIN'!!!

Jul 18, 2014Vice President Talent Management

Hey Orlando! Thanks so much for your review. So glad to hear you enjoy your job. Keep doin' what you're doin'!

There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm