Max & Erma's Restaurants

www.maxandermas.com
  www.maxandermas.com
There are newer employer reviews for Max & Erma's Restaurants

The place you can't wait to come back

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

Fun, exciting, wonderful, nice, neat, clean, happy, place to work most of the time, meet all kinds of people and have fun

Cons

rotating shift, no 401k nice, clean, happy fun place to work, most of the time, everyday is different and exciting

46 Other Employee Reviews for Max & Erma's Restaurants (View Most Recent)

don't let a dying company in denial make you a worse manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

This concept has had a true history and culture that trumps the fake and overly like-able stories made up by rival chains. Stories that are created to dupe guests into believing the restaurant is out to do more than over-charge you for cheap microwaved food. Over the years we have created lifetime guests by working hard, being passionate, and being thoroughly involved in the communities surrounding our stores... our guests boast that we have the best burgers in town... and they're right. Mostly fresh and cooked to order recipes on seasonal menus are a hit with clientel.

Cons

In less than a year with the company I've had four regional managers... one of which I've met. I originally was promised two weeks of paid vacation a year, Quarterly bonuses, A progressive personal development with a growing company.
         Lets start with vacation... After the benefits package for the whole company was rewritten, I was told that instead of two vacations my first year, I had to wait till I had been with the company one year before getting a vacation...and it would be the only one allowed for that whole next year... After talking with yet another regional manager who I had never met... I was told that since I was promised a vacation by my GM...I could use all of my personal days strung together if I needed time off, and that I would not get paid for it. Thanks to my GM "keepin it real" they overlooked not paying me for my time off.
         As for bonus... the first quarter we hit our bonus, I had only been with my home store for two months and three weeks. So, since I did not work one week of the quarter I would not be eligible for any bonus. The second quarter that we hit our bonus...and hit it hard, bonuses were recended in order to restructure the bonus scale.(never saw those)... Finally in my third quarter with the company, we hit bonus and I finally recieved a couple hundred bucks after about ten months of work(out of training). Now with the new bonus structure... unless tortilla soup becomes the newest cure for swine flu, or the economy radically improves... you better believe the house always wins.
         Now as for development... before I say anything about my superiors let me preface by saying that they are both good hearted, semi long term employees who have watched the company's metamorphosis from a quaint "ma and pa" bar... to a successful driven concept full of excited and talented employees... to the insensitive number crunching, unorganized and lying, career devouring, broken manager burying, feeble company it is today. We have more turnover than a game of memory played by potheads. My superiors, who I do consider friends, spend most of the shift smoking cigarettes and discovering new levels of raunchy by the dumpsters during crucial business hours...this can last sometimes up to an hour or more at a time... Every day I am witness to this behavior and there is nothing I can do about it... Everyday with this company I am becoming a worse manager.
        Last but not least to hit budget you'll be scheduling staff as if your running a hot dog cart... if you do get busy during a shift and your feeling motivated to make a difference in your store...prepare to be in your finest business casual manager attire as you catch up the dish tank for the guy not scheduled all day untill after dinner is busy, prepare food with and for the three cooks working five stations, expedite orders, run food and buss tables for the three to six servers who are waiting on six or more tables a piece, and help seat the door for the one highschool girl who is packing several carryout orders in the kitchen... Oh yeah and don't forget to help get those service bar drinks out in the spec time frame...and they'll all need you at the same time... then for the one table you'll manage to have time to touch... you'll be out of breath, soaked in sweat, covered in what appears to be a blend of fryer oil and sourcream, and there will be servers just waiting for you to finish so you can fix all their mistakes.
        Finally, there is a worse personal grievance with the management above the store level that I have left out in order to stay anonymous... times are so tough that I guess I am willing to deal with anything to keep my paycheck... Also I am still holding on to the slim chance I will me someone in the company besides myself that still clutches some sort of moral compass and notices my hard work and loyalty. If you are still considering Max and Ermas as an option for employment... you either have the strongest intestinal fortitude I have ever witnessed, or you have never managed before... there are better companies out there... and I should of stayed with one of them.

Take care of your people... you wouldn't want their job

mediocre for managers

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

Max & Erma's Restaurants is a small step above the competing "casual dining" restaurants. They are well known for their great cookies and rotating menu.

Cons

While working for Max & Erma's Restaurants, I was faced with 60+ hour work weeks on such a regular basis that I would have to stay in a hotel rather than drive home each day. As a Restaurant Manager (NOT a GM) I would open the restaurant at 7am and would still be present during our 11pm closing. Labor goals were extremely agressive; managers seemed more like glorified cooks and were required to work a kitchen station at all times while simultaneously managing the entire restaurant.

The GM I had worked for was very condescending and spoke to team members as if they were lesser beings. The best recommendation that I could give to senior management is to treat the middle managers better.

There are newer employer reviews for Max & Erma's Restaurants