MaxLinear

www.maxlinear.com

Excellent

Staff Engineer (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsPerfect Startup. Ample opportunity to learn. No beating around bush and negligible politics in work place. Customer driven and to the point. Engineering driven.

Management encourages risk taking. Making mistakes in the process is OK. If you are serious about work (which you have to if you work there) you have only one way to go.

Great People in the company. However, it is a unique company in terms of culture.

Beer party almost every month during work hour. If your cubicle is close to the CEO's office, and stick around until 7PM on a Friday, you might get to drink fine wine every other week. Just bring your glass.

ConsIt's a great startup environment, but Maxlinear is really not a startup. It's a 70M+ company. It's great in what it does - i.e. Analog RF, but the company surely needs to improve its strength in software in order to increase its revenue and become a mid-size company. However, there is a tradeoff and I am not sure if the top management is sure about the direction of the company. Do what you do best and take risk in that field? Or spend resource in tech domain that is more lucrative, however without ample experience? Top management seems to be more comfortable in the first option. It's really not a bad thing. But, then the company has public offering.

In this company lot of people are not comfortable with the culture. Work life balance would score in negative. Thats a cliche if you are a Maxlinear employee. But I hear these days management is really serious about it and encouraging people to leave at 6:30.

Lot of people also complain that the culture in the company is too loud. Working in this company very soon one would realize that thats also the strength of this company. Nothing is sugarcoated. People here don't really like colleagues who sugarcoat things. As a result, the company is so direct that it's often uncomfortable when manager does 'informal' 1x1 in your cube with other people around. I have seen and heard this many time in this company. That must change.

Although more words spent on Cons than on Pros, in my mind, in this company the pro vs con is 75% vs. 25%. Just because of the reason you will enjoy your work. If you somehow don't, nobody will be likely to stop you from taking a job profile in the company which you like within roundabout skillset... most of the time something will be available, or made available.. Also I hope the company continues to encourage its employees taking risks.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the great work. Keep bringing Belgian beers in the patio parties..

Good place to learn, but not so good to stay for the long term (>3 years)

Engineer (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

I worked at MaxLinear

Pros: - A unique mix-signal company that does everything from analog input to transport stream output. - Optimization are done system-wide to achieve high efficiency which is… Cons: - High pressure environment where individuals are pushed to the max. - Management (at least some) has little respect for engineers. - Micro-management and bad design decisions… Advice to Senior Management: - Have reasonable expectations, set achievable goals, don't take shortcuts - Accountability != finger… More

Strong engineering community, strong leadership, great opportunity to grow professionally

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear

Pros: MxL is not afraid to take big risks -- in technical decisions and in people. I've gotten the opportunity to do things here I… Cons: This is not the easiest gig in town. Like being part of any team with high performance and high standards, you'll be surrounded with… Advice to Senior Management: Focus on building and training stronger middle management to support the designers in the trenches.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on MaxLinear.

Worked for MaxLinear? Contribute to the Community!