Good place for micro-managers

Current Employee - Business Director in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Business Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Maxim Integrated

Pros

Very supportive and highly competent engineering and applications support teams

Cons

Top-down micro-management is contagious. Decisions (even non-strategic ones) are routinely elevated.

Advice to Management

Empower employees to engage and make strategic business decisions

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not a place for growth

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Maxim Integrated

Pros

The very top management recognizes that the culture needs to change and they are taking every possible step to make that happen.

Cons

Support your employees career growth because when they grow, the company also grows. Any successful company knows this by now, why is it taking so long for Maxim to realize this?

Advice to Management

There are many design directors and General Managers that are clueless about how to lead people. When they are faced with a low moral issue in the teams, instead of relaxing, they just apply more pressure.

Average salary, very good profit sharing, Not so good everything else

Current Employee - PMTS Applications in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - PMTS Applications in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Maxim Integrated

Pros

Profit sharing is very good when compared to other locations in the same industry (~30% of salary). Latest news is that due to lower than expected profits, we can expect profit sharing to be lower for 2012. Benefits are average, but health care out of pocket expenses are lower than other companies. Flexible hours to some extend. Some people arrive at work at 10:30am (and leave at 9:30pm) I work from 8am to 7pm others arrive at 6am and leave by 5pm 20 days of vacation from the start New HQ will have cafeteria and gym and updated furniture.

Cons

Manager does not know the meaning of work-life balance. 11hr/day is normal, 14hr/day 6days/week is common during peak demand, but you get $500 to $1000 extra bonus after 2 weeks (equivalent to a hourly salary of $3 to$6 per hour - which is below minimum wage!) 4 days of paid holidays (new year, July 4, Thanks Giving, and X-mas) - I'm not joking Can only get promote is you are part of the inner circle, which requires lower ethical standards. Internal message board postings by VPs and senior execs is very funny: very recent examples: "We should focus efforts on e-readers"; "Cars should have charging matts for smartphones"; "Our new HQ looks like a prison"

Advice to Management

Working overtime for less than minimum wage is not worth. People are now leaving because of overtime and lack of promotion opportunities! That's why 12 co-workers left in the past 12 months!