Maxim Integrated

There are newer employer reviews for Maxim Integrated

Mostly positive

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Maxim Integrated full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to see a problem and effect a solution

Cons

Promotions slow to impossible if not in same location as manager.

Take a better look at the skill sets of your employees to match them to their work.

356 Other Employee Reviews for Maxim Integrated (View Most Recent)

Growth, innovation, progress

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Maxim Integrated full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great team work. Can move from department to department. Great cross-department collaboration. Focus on innovation.

Cons

Technically, you saturate at senior level. After that slower movement. Difficult to get towards management.

If you are not too desperate to find a job, stay away...

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Maxim Integrated full-time

Pros

-CEO is extremely smart and cool as a cucumber. BUT he is just one man.
    -New campus is pretty nice.
    -Their business is strong in some high-growth markets.
    -Happiness when you leave Maxim for a decent compensation. Priceless.

Cons

If you have less than 10 years of experience or not a manager in your existing job, STAY AWAY from Maxim. They will pay you peanuts. They won't give you a significant raise either (expect 3% every year if you and the company perform well). You will get stuck...Come to Maxim if you are absolutely sure you are going to spend rest of your life in semiconductors industry.

Now more details:

-Talent is leaving the company at a fast pace. A LOT of the bright people I know have left or have plans to leave the company. Average performers are staying. Quality of talent is decreasing rapidly. I was forewarned. I made a big mistake and joined Maxim anyway. I don't want anybody else to make the same mistake.

-Nepotism. Be nice to new hires. There is a significant chance that they are related to a Director in the company.

-Compensation. This is critical: get an offer from a few other companies and compare. Maxim's starting salaries are below average...I have heard some people left the company and doubled their compensation...How to get paid well at Maxim? Come from a competitor with experience. Since they can't attract young and bright (I have heard this complaint from many hiring managers. I wish I could give you more details but I have to maintain anonymity here. Main point: You are warned!), Maxim is forced to hire experienced professionals from outside.

-Work load. No need to say much in here. It's well known in the industry and in the Silicon Valley that Maxim is a sweatshop. Expect long hours (a brilliant, experienced engineer left for this reason last year), very little reward and no recognition.

-No meritocracy. If you are in the beginning of your career, they will pay you or promote you based on X (Bachelors degree + X many years). NOT based on your contribution or accomplishments in your position. I want you to understand this.

Take good care of your few remaining talented employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Maxim Integrated