Very good

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  Jacksonville, FL
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Very good benefits, doing research in cutting-edge field, good name

Cons

Administrative system is a little bit sluggish and inefficient, but not a big problem.

Other Reviews for Mayo Clinic

"Regretful!!"

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Benefits, great educational support w/Library providing assistance with articles and so forth. Tuition reimbursement is one of the best in the Nation for an employer! Amazing Gym for staff at a very reasonable price. As a nurse, I've worked elsewhere and I must give credit where it deserves credit. There is good open communication between nurses and "residents" but zero with the consultants. Consultants here are the Staff doctors, and most of them 98% walk with their noses up in the air never acknowledging the nurses who care for their patients. Rochester is a very safe, small, no traffic kind of town. If you have kids, this is the place you can appreciate living in. If you are single, don't get your hopes up.

Cons

No Parking for new staff. If you work a 7A shift, you basically have to wake up at 5A to get here on time, and that's only if you live in TOWN!!! No diversity what so ever, and Minnesotan Nice is not nice at all! Too many two faced people here. I'm not saying that there aren’t any hypocrites anywhere else, but nothing like this place! A very bureaucratic management and advancement opportunities for nurses are limited. It certainly is about who you know and how well you've gotten along with your nurse manager to move up the ladder. If you've never worked anywhere else but Mayo you will not feel competent to work anywhere else after working here. Nurses don't start IV, or even put foley cathers in! They have a "team" for all of this. At first this may seem nice for you that you don't have to worry about doing this, but when you need an IV STAT, good luck! They give you less patients to care fore than other hospitals, but you will be doing a lot more than your nursing role to make up for that. Nurses here change linens, bathe your patients in a shower not just in bed, feed your patients and do your strict I&O, and sometimes get paid to sit in a combative patient's room as a one to one, because they don't have patient sitters here. Oh and to top it off, you'll also be a social worker calling Nursing homes to hold patient's bed and arrange home health Oxygen and so forth. Basically, they call this "Primary Nursing." I would have to say the ultimate con in this workplace is the lack of diversity and way too much back stabbing and triangulation. If you are not from the Midwest, don't ever move here! You will regret it!! Go to Jacksonville or Arizona but don't ever think of coming to this frozen land!!

Be flexible and understand other people's culture and modalities. Don't claim to be a diverse employer, yet expect employees to adapt and adjust their communication styles for the "Minnesotan style." Way too many committees and chain of command, and all do NOTHING to resolve anything in a timely matter. In fact they will do as much stalling for any change to happen!

I feel satisfied in my role.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Appears to be a financially secure healthcare facility.

Cons

To political it takes a long time for dicisions to be made and then implementation is prolonged.

There are newer employer reviews for Mayo Clinic.

Worked for Mayo Clinic? Contribute to the Community!