Mayo Clinic

There are newer employer reviews for Mayo Clinic

It is a good place for Clinic and Research

Current Employee - Research Fellow in Rochester, MN
Current Employee - Research Fellow in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strength: Value and Benefit. And it has a nice surroundings and is located in a very beautiful town.

Cons

Networking and family, especially the long winter season.

266 Other Employee Reviews for Mayo Clinic (View Most Recent)

Financial Representative

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mayo has great benefits for all employees, way better than previous employers I've had. Generous PTO, health/dental/vision insurance, tuition reimbursement, back up daycare, sick child daycare, employees get discounts at several businesses around town, etc.

Cons

My particular position is a call center which is very reptitious and gets old fast.

Its hard to make any changes to the position, the position is essential to the company. Perhaps it would be nice to have more people hired to handle more of the calls.

Used to be good, going downhill very fast

Former Employee - Allied Health in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Allied Health in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They payed well in my field, otherwise I would have never stayed so long.

Cons

Where do I start? Mayo used to be a pretty good workplace, unfortunately it's been changing for the worse since the early 00's. The workload is increasing exponentially, and the hiring doesn't follow. Useless training, procedural steps and policies are constantly piling up, without improving workflow or productivity (think of the movie "Office Space"). Good employees are getting completely demotivated and burned out, lazy employees know they can get away with doing hardly any work , since Mayo never fires for poor performance. A supervisor once told me with a straight face that some employees in her unit were trained only for the easier duties only because they couldn't handle the complexity of the task / the workload / the stress. It would imply that more capable and smarter co-workers were expected to pick up the slack..... for the same pay. I finally realized things were not likely to improve, even if I transfered to another unit (I am not saying that there are absolutely no well-managed work units at Mayo, but they are excessively rare). I am now living in a different state. I make about 60% of what I was making at Mayo, but in return I am keeping my health and my sanity.

Please at least keep your lies straight! It is rather insulting to be told that there is no authorization to hire new staff to keep up with a 400% increase in workload, but three weeks later, get the announcement that there will be a technical specialist added to the team, who will do zero hands-on, work and for whom there is absolutely no need, since we were doing our own troubleshooting for years.

There are newer employer reviews for Mayo Clinic