Mayo Clinic
www.mayoclinic.org Rochester, MN 5000+ Employees

Used to be good, going downhill very fast

Allied Health (Former Employee)
Rochester, MN

ProsThey payed well in my field, otherwise I would have never stayed so long.

ConsWhere do I start? Mayo used to be a pretty good workplace, unfortunately it's been changing for the worse since the early 00's. The workload is increasing exponentially, and the hiring doesn't follow. Useless training, procedural steps and policies are constantly piling up, without improving workflow or productivity (think of the movie "Office Space"). Good employees are getting completely demotivated and burned out, lazy employees know they can get away with doing hardly any work , since Mayo never fires for poor performance. A supervisor once told me with a straight face that some employees in her unit were trained only for the easier duties only because they couldn't handle the complexity of the task / the workload / the stress. It would imply that more capable and smarter co-workers were expected to pick up the slack..... for the same pay. I finally realized things were not likely to improve, even if I transfered to another unit (I am not saying that there are absolutely no well-managed work units at Mayo, but they are excessively rare). I am now living in a different state. I make about 60% of what I was making at Mayo, but in return I am keeping my health and my sanity.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease at least keep your lies straight! It is rather insulting to be told that there is no authorization to hire new staff to keep up with a 400% increase in workload, but three weeks later, get the announcement that there will be a technical specialist added to the team, who will do zero hands-on, work and for whom there is absolutely no need, since we were doing our own troubleshooting for years.

Not my best career move

Clinical Lab Technologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Excellent place for a recent grad to get some experience… Cons: Management hires people w/o plan in place on how to train, etc. Very little movement between areas inside the firm (easier to move up within your… Advice to Senior Management: Perhaps consider hiring management with some experience of the area. Hiring someone who has… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Financial Representative

Financial Representative (Current Employee)
    Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time for more than a year

Pros: Mayo has great benefits for all employees, way better than previous employers I've had. Generous PTO, health/dental/vision… Cons: My particular position is a call center which is very… Advice to Senior Management: Its hard to make any changes to the position, the position is essential to the company.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Mayo Clinic.

Worked for Mayo Clinic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mayo Clinic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mayo Clinic CEO John H. Noseworthy. All reviews posted anonymously by Mayo Clinic employees.