Mayo Clinic

www.mayoclinic.org
There are newer employer reviews for Mayo Clinic

Mayo

I have been working at Mayo Clinic

Pros

Helping others who are ill

Cons

Nothing much else in Rochester except Mayo and IBM. If you want to do any shopping that's not picked over you need to go someplace else.

You're at the 10,000 foot level. Come down to the ground where the little guy works. PLEASE!

267 Other Employee Reviews for Mayo Clinic (View Most Recent)

Dedicated to developing your success

Former Employee - Intern in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Intern in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Mayo has a world class facility, great instructors, resources, and engaging leadership. They offer a plethora of opportunities to move laterally and value experience in upward movement. The culture resonates through every space in this organization. Everyone knows why they are working here and it shows.

Cons

The small location doesn't have as much culture as larger cities would.

Work on implementing technology in company -especially within administration.

What happened?

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mayo Clinic in the historic sense beams excellence. Incredible minds and technology have been developed here. Not too long ago that intellect and zeal were almost palpable in what could more-or-less be called the crown jewel of the city of Rochester. I was honored to continue these traditions through my work and dedication at a place in aesthetics, aptitude, and psyche was an example for the medical community.

Mayo Clinic offers excellent compensation for your time and very competitive benefits. Its one of the few places I have worked at that still offers a pension, affordable medical insurance, several weeks of vacation upon starting, and decent lateral movement should you want to do so.

Mayo once offered a foundation by which you could make life long plans and aspirations.

Cons

So what happened?

Mayo Clinic for the last few decades has continuously degraded by mediocrity, preferential treatment, poor implementation, ghost riding, and lack of vision. Mayo has been riding on the ghosts of its accomplished past.

A career at Mayo Clinic is an enigmatic one. On one side of the coin you will be enthralled to work with able minded people who are not only skillful in the craft of science but who legitimately have passion for patient centered research and care. I have had the pleasure of seeing people with drive who have worked from the ground up from a simple technician to become an administrator or even Ph. D, as I am currently working on. The other side of the coin includes select consultants, senior/middle management, and even mid/low level scientists seem to think that once you get your “Golden Ticket” to Mayo you simply put your heart and mind into neutral and coast to maintain the status quo. There are many wallflowers that only care about the bottom line: their paycheck or personal status.

While Mayo Clinic fosters brilliant and effective minds, there are just as many if not more that are busy waiving their “Golden Tickets.” My time has been plagued with a few pampered consultants who verbally and psychologically abuse you, entitled management who are woefully under-equipped in wisdom/aptitude, and salaried/hourly technologists who get away with harassment or being paid for flat out not contributing. You may as well not report incidences like these, since at any rung of the aforementioned nothing will change. Rocking the boat puts you at risk for retaliation, ridicule, being overlooked for a promotion, etc.

The current status of Mayo Clinic would be as one of my colleagues put it, “…we have too many chiefs and not enough Indians.” When you answer to many people, some of who may be inept or incommunicado with their own contemporaries, avoidable mistakes are made, inefficiencies continue to build, decisions that may be completely dangerous to patient care are created, and the overall mission of Mayo Clinic, “…the needs of the patient come first,” continue to diminish. At the end of the day the blame is usually assigned to the easiest target or those too meek to defend themselves.

Mayo’s initial answer to the economic environment in 2008 was lethargic. Excessive spending on parties, other frivolity, and business as usual continued. Fast forward to 2013 and Mayo is virtually in a panic over cost control due to being overextended at the cost of morale of its employees and patients. Benefits large and small continue to shrink or have disappeared completely. Forward thinking and preparing for fiscal pumps in the road, not banking on changes in philanthropic donations, having MML be fiercely competitive with other health systems, ceasing kingdom building projects, etc. were not a part of the equation until lately.

Mayo is finally starting to take the punch bowl from its own party. The problem is that while Mayo has been partying for the last 20 years the competition has become a lot smarter and leaner, where Mayo has become slow due to its own convoluted bureaucracy and over indulgence. The withdrawals are very hard everyone especially for those that actually work very hard, since those perks were the things keeping the talent here.

In the years I have been here I have seen magnificent individuals of all levels of employment be crushed by the current of “Mother Mayo’s” will. When your lifestyle depends on who writes your paycheck, you always see the zombie like following of Mayo either too scared, too indoctrinated, or too burnt out to care to resist the crumbling paradigm that is the psyche of Mayo Clinic.

Its time to cut the fat. Mayo is the only place of employ I have had that has so many management staff and such an overly complicated bureaucracy. Hold people accountable. It doesn't matter if it is a consultant or custodian, if they perpetually abuse colleagues or "the system" pull the plug to make room for those that will be the envy of other health care systems. Isn't that what Mayo is supposed to be about? We need passion and talent. We need to do everything we can to keep employees motivated not complacent. We need to do all of this while keeping our ability to do so simple along with putting the patient numbero uno.

There are newer employer reviews for Mayo Clinic