Mother Mayo

Current Employee - Research Technologist in Rochester, MN
Current Employee - Research Technologist in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mayo strives to take good care of its research staff with a good benefits package, and 60th percentile pay ranges. Strong Core labs make cutting edge research attainable.

Cons

Whopping big indirect costs on research funding, and an overall second-class status for the research community in favor of the clinic and patient care at the intitution.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

24 years at Mayo Clinic

Former Employee - Staff RN in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Teaching Hospital with excellent Consultants. I worked here 24 years and enjoyed the patients as well as my co-workers. Excellent variety of learning opportunities and tuition reimbursement. Many employees were able to get their Graduate Degree paid for by Mayo and have never used that degree.

Cons

Top heavy. I, along with over 20 RN's were "encouraged" to resign from Mayo. All of us had more than 20 years at Mayo, were at the top of the pay scale and had surgery in the past five years. We were all in our 40's as well. None of us had ever been counselled prior to this and we all had excellent reviews and were active in committees. We were able to keep part of our retirement benefits. When we refused to resign we were fired.

2. Collaborative medical institution in the mid-sized Midwestern City

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mayo Clinic is extremely collaborate, the people are great, and the access to cutting edge technology, samples, and research is top notch. Compensation is mediocre compared to other top institutions nationally, though cost of living is low. While possible, promotions need to be aggressively sought after as committee after committee needs to approve them.

Cons

Work life balance is fantastic and leadership is strong and transparent. In an age of quickly changing healthcare and basic medical research, Mayo Clinic is determined to help define the future, not follow. If you are from a big city you will likely feel Rochester is too small, antiquated, and unfortunately just far enough away from the Twin Cities to be frustrating. The city is the biggest downside to working at Mayo Clinic from this perspective. This extends to significant others, who, if they do not work in the healthcare field will likely find other employment opportunities lacking.

Advice to Management

Mayo must be innovative to succeed in the future of healthcare. Leadership seems to know this, however continued efforts to transform the Olmstead County area into a hub of innovation will be the only way to truly succeed long-term and stay as one of the top medical institutions in the Country.