care culture great, allied health staff culture corrosive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, MN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice place to be at if you get sick or have a major medical issue at work.

Cons

No advancement. No growth unless personal growth. Low salaries. Crony kingdoms and emperor builders abound. Don't show initiative or ambition you'll be the first one shot.

Make managers do continued education to keep position. Have HR deeply involved in hiring process to make it fair (including IT positions).

Other Reviews for Mayo Clinic

Safe and Ethical without Risk; but without Challenge Also

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This company is the ultimate ethical company. Treats employees well but offering basically lifetime employment unless you do something stupid. That said, it also draws people who want the welfare experience. Pay is at best average and therefore you draw average talent. A rich history of quality medical practices and outcomes which has build the brand.

Cons

Even though the brand is strong for the right reasons, those from the business side of things will not find a challenge here. Decisions are made by committee on everything! The loudest voice often gets its way in those environment, or decisions don't get made and the solution is very watered down/ineffective. No one is willing to take a stand on anything and most everyone is risk adverse; doing time to collect a pension. There is almost no understanding about financials in decision making. Why? Because a long time ago, the Mayo Brothers made Doctors the ultimate leaders. This has its benefits when it comes to overall medical decisions and direction but when it comes to competing in other non-medical arenas that the Clinic participates in, these part-time leaders frankly are not qualified to lead.

Lead only at the top levels and the let the business professionals run the business areas with more autonomy. Analyze the proper risk-reward scenario and seek more risk.

I have never been so taken care of in my life. They really care for the wellbeing of every one of their employees

Current Employee - Clinical Lab Scientist  in  Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Clinical Lab Scientist in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supervisors try to do what they can to help you with scheduling, pursuing interests in and out of the office, and there is a great sense of community and teamwork as everyone is trying their best to do good quality work. The pay is great too.

Cons

Some people have only worked for Mayo Clinic and don't know how good they have it and will complain about changes or little things that can be frustrating about every job. If you've worked anywhere else though you'll learn to just ignore the whining and continue to love how good you've got it. I think the worst thing about the entire company is trying to find parking.

Keep doing exactly what you're doing: checking in to see how we are as tech's, sharing your funny stories from weekend trips or time with family, being understanding when things don't work out the way we planned, and all the other great things we appreciate about you.

There are newer employer reviews for Mayo Clinic.

Worked for Mayo Clinic? Contribute to the Community!