There are newer employer reviews for Mbira Technologies

Best customer service job for fake musicians in Chicago

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Online Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mbira Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If I would've lasted about 60 more days I could have bought a deluxe tele for $700 off. But ebay does exist so I guess that's not much of a pro. There's coffee all the time and a toaster oven in the kitchen which I appreciate. Toaster oven doesn't work very well though. The girls who have classes below the office are very pretty and the view from the windows is very nice. I enjoyed talking to the customers. The work is fine and enjoyable, it's the system and the culture of the office that is way messed up.

Cons

It's an incredibly confusing and frustrating place to work. Supervisors are passive-aggressive. Exact quote- 'Do you have any more questions? (No I think that covers it) Ok, good. Let us know if you have any questions.' Communication with supervisors goes through instant messengers on your computer meaning about 75% of what you're trying to say gets lost in translation, its very very difficult to communicate effectively. They will get irritated if you do try to talk to them face-to-face. You can get questions answered, you will not, however, get a reason for the issue or an explanation of the policy to help you remember why it is so. I signed a paper saying I was a very poor employee after making mistakes in their system. That's the solution. No explanations , just discipline and being cold so you don't talk to them.

HR does not answer their phone and won't return your calls if you have questions or need anything pertaining to your pay or other information.

There are two or three women who work here out of 70-80 employees. Very testosterone-fueled and anti-social environment. If you see someone you don't know in the kitchen and you say hi to them they're going to give you a confused and scared look and respond if you're lucky. I talked to one of the lead supervisors exactly twice in two months. Once for my interview and once when he fired me.

Billed as non-commission (wink wink) but it is. When you're a new employee you can't train with a real person because that would interrupt the commission system. Instead you're trained in a classroom for a week and a half and then expected to remember every minute detail after its over or be disciplined.

A lot of strange stuff happens on the computers with orders while you are talking to customers. The system they use is outdated and when something goes weird and you have to ask a supervisor their usual response is to get angry, blame you for the issue, and not give a clear explanation as to why the problem is happening. There are several departments in the office and due to the culture when you ask someone in another dept a question they take it as if you're insulting them and wasting their time. Supervisors will also direct you to the company FAQ wiki which is very poorly organized, hasn't been updated since 2010 or 2011, and more often than not will only answer half of your question.

Nothing I listed here occurred as an isolated incident, I'm putting everything in this reoccurring tense because these are every day happenings within the company.

Advice to Management

Don't hire ten people if you're only going to keep five.

If you're going to train new employees, do it in a way that actually works.

If you hire a bright, alert, driven, punctual, knowledgeable person, and they don't have a complete sparkling knowledge of your system after two weeks working, maybe, just maybe, its not entirely their fault, and there's a bigger systemic issue.

Look people in the eyes while you fire them instead of staring at the ground.

reviews filtered by

Mbira prefers quantity not quality

I worked at Mbira Technologies

Pros

Fellow work staff is generally nice and full of interesting people. Discount on product is great. The location is easy to get to with public transportation with lots of great lunch options around.

Cons

The pay is horrible. Even with a generous employee discount you can't afford to buy anything. They are very particular about clocking in and out exactly at the right time. A few minutes of overtime or one minute late and you will have a conversation with your boss. How many customers you help is more important than how well you help an individual customer.

2. Not a bad place to begin your career

I have been working at Mbira Technologies full-time

Pros

- exposure to lots of facets of the company
    - low stress / good work life balance

Cons

- not much room for advancement outside of call center staffing
    - needs more clearly defined roles

Advice to Management

- better communication of expectations

There are newer employer reviews for Mbira Technologies