There are newer employer reviews for McAfee

Good work but McAfee is now owned by Intel and management is not doing a good job.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mission Viejo, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at McAfee

Pros

Good work. Deadlines are met on time most of the time. Great manager to work under. Good opportunities to grow in terms of learning experience. Not the same growing experience in terms of promotions and salaries.

Cons

Compensation less than normal. Intel doesn't give enough attention to all McAfee products. Benefits below par as compared to other companies. Management not open about giving good hardware machines and other software tools to their engineers. Salary raise and promotions slow. Rate of growth definitely slower than other companies.

479 Other Employee Reviews for McAfee (View Most Recent)

One of the most political companies you will ever work for....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at McAfee

Pros

There are some incredibly talented people here.
    Work from home flexibility
    Great at identifying and acknowledging when one has done a good job but you have to work excrutiating long hours to get to this point.
    Company is the leader in its industry

Cons

Consultantants / employees that work virtually are typically forgotten unless management needs something
    Extremely political within the organization, lots of drama between management all the way up and also within departments.
    This is an email driven company so be careful what you might say it may get forwarded a 100 times and corporate (Santa Clara) likes to throw teammates under the bus because they are easily offended.
    Processes are poor and so are the systems and platforms; this was ridiculous for being a tech company and the systems have been band-aided together just to function
    Approval process takes several steps and because some of the executive management refuse to change their methods, the business units are forced to comply to their way so now one is doubling up on the process to make them happy
    Team does not communicate when there are changes implemented to virtual team and then when errors are made that group is repremanded
    Some managers are very inflexible and not gracious when interviewing potential hires along with constant haults in the hiring process and pushing start dates to the next quarter - this is terrible PR to a potential new hire.
    Work life balance is horrible with some divisions - employees work 12-15 hour days, 7 days a week
    Managers will lie to your face to avoid confrontation - give us some credit, most of us aren't that stupid and we see right through you!

Be honest with your employees even if it's negative; we're adults, we can take it.
    If you promote someone into a management role make sure they are put on the path of training so they are succesful instead of promoting someone that has no business in a leadership role - you end up losing all of your talented people because of your political move.
    Enough of the backstabbing and hey we're going to fire that guy for really no apparent reason but don't say anything in order to gain confidence with your peer
    Stop having the corporate gatherings via web and put plans into actions - communicate your intent and then put forth the effort to do it.

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in Plano, TX

I worked at McAfee

Pros

McAfee Plano is located near the Dallas North Tollway and the 121 toll.
    It is business casual attire. Cafe downstairs for quick lunches.

Cons

Vacation-
    You are granted vacation days, but good luck trying to take them. Instead, they give you mandatory days off and make you use that as your vacation. That would be workable if you knew what days they would be, BUT you don't. It completely depends on how bad their financials look and how desperate they are to cut expenses to meet Wall Streets expectations. So go out tonight and have a great time; take another shot while bellied up at the bar, because you might just find out you are off tomorrow.

Work Load-
    If you are considering McAfee, you might also consider joining the Armed Forces; at least one will help pay for your college. They will both take you away from your family more than anyone would prefer. If you like working 50+ hour weeks while your manager leaves at 4:59pm everyday then you will love McAfee. If you like literally sweating at a keyboard just to get the job complete while your co-workers share pictures of their Farmville... you get the point.

Work-Life Balance-
    The answer is no.

Overall; it was a horrible experience. I would not recommend this company to anyone looking for a job.

Just quit! Let them higher someone who cares about people instead of bonuses and bending numbers in order to stay bonus eligible. Give the people their 401k and maybe offer a match since smaller companies can do it so should you. I am now at a much smaller company with much better benefits, much better pay, we actually get to take vacation days, and nearly everyone loves their job. Oh, and thanks for laying me off! I've never been happier!!

There are newer employer reviews for McAfee

Worked for McAfee? Contribute to the Community!