McAfee

www.mcafee.com
  www.mcafee.com
There are newer employer reviews for McAfee

A stable leader where effort is rewarded and you don't have to watch your back worrying about the next layoff!

Current Employee - Program Manager in Mission Viejo, CA
Current Employee - Program Manager in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at McAfee

Pros

Consistent and positive financial results. Good leadership with vision. Very honest top exec. General culture of reward for effort and caring for employees. Growth every quarter and year means good bonuses.

Cons

Distributed workforce means those away from the main office(s) are sometimes marginalized with respect to the larger decisions and initiatives.

Keep doing what you are doing! Keep investing in the company vision and communicating honestly and openly with us.

502 Other Employee Reviews for McAfee (View Most Recent)

Typical large software company with smart senior management but crumbling middle management

Current Employee - Anonymous Member of Technical Team in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Member of Technical Team in San Jose, CA

I have been working at McAfee

Pros

Stable 9-5 job

Not a highly political environment (but this depends on your team)

Senior management is sharp and so the overall direction of the company seems to be well thought out and well communicated (compared to many other companies) barring isolated mistakes

Sr. Management is not uncaring (e.g. Relatively generous severance packages were given to the few people, even entry level employees, who were laid off in 200)

Cons

Very middle management heavy

Middle managers are "managing up" in several instances

The "innovation" group is almost divorced from the "engineering" group and there seems to be a total lack of realization on part of the management that this is happening.

Depending upon your group, little to no flexibility in hours although HR claims otherwise

Middle managers overwhelmingly seem to have learned management from a textbook and have little to no ability to make a real connection with subordinates

In my group, middle managers are an even spread between apathetic, textbookish, those who require a 1 hour powerpoint presentation (no exaggeration) to communicate things that can be said in a sentence and one malicious individual.

- Build closer ties between innovation group and all engineering groups so "innovation" can be translated into features for all products
    - Let managers who can't communicate well be engineers
    - Try to really implement HR policies on flexible timing so employees don't feel like this is just another 9-5 job.
    - Anonymous feedback or at least suggestions for improvement from subordinates for managers

- Most of my feedback applies not to the San Jose, CA location but to another company recently acquired where I spend most of my time. Sr. Management will know what I am talking about.

Good company overall but internal political intrigues might stop innovations

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Plano, TX

I have been working at McAfee

Pros

Benefits and compensations are good. Work environment is good as well. Free drinks, free friday snacks and usuall stuff you expect to get from big company.

Cons

A lot of decisions are made based on political correctness

Talk more to people in field

There are newer employer reviews for McAfee