There are newer employer reviews for McAfee

8 years and going...but interested in more

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at McAfee

Pros

Broad access to a number of technologies that can be used. If you're in sales you can make some serious dough. Flexible work schedule with remote working being acceptable for many roles. Slackers are quick to be eliminated, as most folks pull their weight and more.

Cons

Rather flat organization with limited advancement opportunity for technically oriented folks that want to stay technical. You have the option of either going into sales or going somewhere else unless a director role becomes available and you happen to be the best candidate for the role in the location where it is being offered. There are a lot of "Senior" this or thats, several directors, and it seems like a few too many VPs.

Don't ignore advancement opportunities for your technical teams.

485 Other Employee Reviews for McAfee (View Most Recent)

It's not too bad out here!

Current Employee - Mid-Level Engineering in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Engineering in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at McAfee

Pros

The information security space is rapidly evolving, with new technologies continually being introduced. And working for McAfee provides great exposure to them. The company has been growing and doing well in the past few years - and that's always a good thing. The work culture is pleasant; it's not a sweat shop (although this kind of thing almost totally depends on individual managers). The company certainly seems to value and reward its high-performing employees.

Cons

Every company has its flaws, and you can expect to see them first hand from the inside. I can't think of anything egregious. Here are a couple that come to mind: (1) The company is often too slow to get rid of its non-performing employees. Due to arcane hiring policies and continual freezes, firing someone means you won't get a replacement for a long time. So managers are loath to fire - 1/5 FTE is better than NO FTE. (2) Product management is weak at the lower ranks (some far worse than others); product releases often don't match what customers want, and products are way behind the competition. And this affects others. A good PM seems to be an endangered species.

Provide an anonymous internal (web) forum to hear from employees. (The current Ethics hotline isn't an appropriate forum for this). Employees shouldn't have to air dirty laundry in public fora such as this one.

McAfee...Great Products but Bad Support for their Employees.

Current Employee - Inside Channel Account Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Channel Account Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at McAfee

Pros

McAfee has the best software/hardware security products in the market. We also have great worldwide brand recognition. We are constantly acquiring new technologies/companies to increase our security portfolio and provide more value to our customers.

Cons

The Comp Plans for our Inside and Channel Sales organizations are always being changed and are never attainable. Every new leader that comes onboard decides to change the plans and all they do is create a drop in morale and performance. Lack of Executive leadership and understanding particularly in relation to what the Channel provides. Lack of upward mobility for Inside and Channel Sales reps so we can grow into to larger roles at the company.

Promote from within. We have amazing reps with tons of experience that would be great additions to our Field Sales and Channel team. But, most end up leaving for a job that gives them growth and better pay.

There are newer employer reviews for McAfee