There are newer employer reviews for McAfee

McAfee is a great place to work, but could still use some improvement.

Current Employee - Tier I Support Technician  in  Plano, TX
Current Employee - Tier I Support Technician in Plano, TX

I have been working at McAfee

Pros

I like my job and the tasks that I perform on a day to day basis. Management is flexible with schedule. Benefits are great! Management challenges the employee with goals that are difficult to reach but attainable.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are unkown. Not very much interaction between management and employees. More communication between management and employees would be good.

I would like to advance in my job and/or position, but a career path is not obvious. I would like to see more communication between management and employees to discuss career goals and advancement. (for those employees that are interested, some employees like there current job and don't want to move)

479 Other Employee Reviews for McAfee (View Most Recent)

Stable, consistent, sales-driven

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at McAfee

Pros

McAfee is good to its best employees and does its best to help them blossom. It provides job stability in a difficult environment. Sometimes it acts as a start-up, while other times it behaves as a large corporation, usually to good effect. You'll find pockets of innovation and interesting thinking throughout the organization.

Cons

McAfee tends to jump from deal to deal, so focus suffers. Sales appears unfamiliar with the word "no". McAfee runs very lean, and while there are brilliant and capable people on many teams, it is often slow to remove dead weight, so the stars do a lot of heavy lifting. In some divisions, politics can be rife. Acquisitions have almost completely replaced internal innovation.

- Rewarding a salesperson because he or she signed a deal is fine. But what about the people who overcame the roadblocks on behalf of the salesperson? What about the people who toiled behind the scenes to get the product launched? Not to mention the people who spend months optimizing those deals. There's too little recognition and rewards outside of Sales.
     - The constant hiring freezes have taught middle managers that it's not worth dropping a mediocre employee, because the open headcount will likely be frozen before a solid replacement will be found. Hence, there's a sizable population of below average employees. These, in turn, sap the best and brightest of passion and energy. The outcome is predictable, if unnecessary.

More cons than pros.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at McAfee

Pros

Initially we were very excited to be purchased by McAfee, such a company has brought tremendous access to resources that were not as readily previously. Pretty much any piece of software, or resource you require can be made available to you.

McAfee has also done a commendable job of providing training for employees and supporting increased education through a generous tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

Unfortunately, McAfee suffers from a high degree of politicing and arbitrary policies that have seriously impacted employee morale. McAfee has been making record profits, yet benefits have been slashed to the bone. There is no possibility of raises or promotions, except for those in the most senior of management positions. Corporate even dictates when we can use our PTO time.

All these are massive slaps in the face for the employees that have made this company a success. We know how successful we are, yet you can see it on the faces of everyone at the office, nobody is happy here.

When the economy turns around a bit, expect a mass exodus of the most prime talent from this short-sighted company. At least this will look nice on our resumes.

Some attempt to reward talent will be critical for this company to maintain its current strong position in the marketplace.

There are newer employer reviews for McAfee

Worked for McAfee? Contribute to the Community!