There are newer employer reviews for McDermott

Good Management

Former Employee - IT Team in Houston, TX
Former Employee - IT Team in Houston, TX

I worked at McDermott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My manager was awesome. Enjoyed working for him. Work was challenging

Cons

Brought in new C-level management and changed things. Last I heard, they took away the yearly bonuses and no merit raises for the 1st time were given out.

Be more open and communicate with your teams

65 Other Employee Reviews for McDermott (View Most Recent)

In the world of engineering, seemed like a pretty fair employer. Have to weather the ups and downs of business cycles.

Former Employee - Legal Department in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Department in Houston, TX

I worked at McDermott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were all good, the working hours decent, and expectations reasonable while allowing for new challenges. Pay was fair.

Cons

Location only convenient at HQ if you live in west part of Houston. Traffic all around the area petty heavy.

Be more open to offering new opportunities to current employees before laying off.

Lower-level employees were great, upper management not so much (Post-Deason)

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at McDermott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

McDermott was a pretty nice place to work back when Deason was the CEO. Most people were friendly and pay was competitive. Benefits were pretty good. All that has changed now, and it is not just because of the recession.

Cons

After Deason left upper level management (Executives, VPs, HR managers) viewed engineers as simply warm bodies that could be hired and let go at any time with no consequences to productivity. It actually felt like they even had feelings of contempt for them. They had no clue how engineering worked or how to be profitable. They would make radical changes simply to copy what others in the industry were doing with no thought as to why. They seemed to get caught in a cycle of "we cannot get good jobs because we don't have enough decent people. We don't have money for our staff because we don't have good jobs and therefore we will lay off a bunch of people. Repeat."

Good luck to the new CEO - he'll need it. He really just needs to clean house and get rid of the current upper management/VPs/HR managers that came in with Johnson. Their policies and attitudes are toxic to the company and productivity.

There are newer employer reviews for McDermott