There are newer employer reviews for McDonald's

Great Summer Internship Program

Former Employee - Human Resource Intern  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Human Resource Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at McDonald's as an intern for less than a year

Pros

structured program. great access to high level individuals.

Cons

not many great regional entry level positions for corporate offices

3349 Other Employee Reviews for McDonald's (View Most Recent)

My experience at McDonald's wasn't as memorable for me as it should.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Dryden, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dryden, NY

I worked at McDonald's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Meet new people and interact with customers.

Cons

The place tends to get quite hectic at times, having to work at a fast pace to give the customer there order on time.

None

Not as terrible as it's made out to be.

Former Employee - Cook  in  Wyoming, PA
    Former Employee - Cook in Wyoming, PA

I worked at McDonald's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you already work in the restaurant business, this job is a cakewalk. High-volume, yes, but the work is easy and not very physically-demanding. If followed, the protocols in place make it easy to keep the kitchen very clean, minimize burns and other injuries, and maintain surprisingly good food quality. You don't have to worry about over- or under-cooking food. You don't have to do tons of prep work. You don't even need to have a solid grasp of health and safety standards until you move up to management. Stores tend to run on a low number of employees, meaning that the environment becomes tight-knit and friendly. Scheduling is usually very flexible. Our store had a dedicated break room, and we were always entitled to a free meal (with some limits) on every break. Uniforms were free (except for the required non-slip shoes, which we were offered coupons for.)

If you actually care about your job at all, it's not unrealistic to count on becoming a manager after a year or two.

Cons

If you've never worked in a restaurant before, you'll think this job is terrible. You're on your feet all day, performing what feels like intense cardio exercise during peak hours. After your shift, you will be coated in a layer of grease and filth, and you will smell like cooking oil. You will not be able to get it off of your work clothes. Management will set often unrealistic goals for the staff, specifically pertaining to how fast you need to get food out of the kitchen. You will make close to minimum wage the entire time you work there, even if you're promoted to low-level management.

You've done a great job at creating a sustainable business model, but now I think it's time you start to progress to the next step, which is focusing on making it a great place to work. By sacrificing your profits just a little bit, you could boast about offering your employees "the best health insurance" or paying them "great starting wages." If you can make McDonald's a great place to work, you will automatically get better employees. With better employees, you can improve throughput and quality without ruining labor costs and you'll have a lower turnover rate (which would save your employees time and save you the cost of paying people to sit down and play your training videogame.)

There are newer employer reviews for McDonald's

Worked for McDonald's? Contribute to the Community!