There are newer employer reviews for McDonald's

Good first job if you're a 16y/o high school student.

Former Employee - Crew Member
Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at McDonald's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is still the most structured company I have ever worked for. Everything is done very efficiently with step by step instructions. All of the tasks are amazingly simple if you have at least two hands and a 30 second memory. Cash register is easily the best position, but you'll only get it if you're a girl or one of the manager's favorite boys. Interacting with customers is much nicer than interacting with coworkers. Regardless of position, you'll learn to work as part of a team with frequently challenging partners. BEST PART: McDonald's is way more flexible with scheduling and call-offs than any other employer I've had. I didn't realize how nice this was till I went to work elsewhere. Plus you get tons of free food.

Cons

Promotions are based entirely on how long you've worked there and how long you plan to stay. Although most employees are high school students expecting to work part time, the job starts to completely consume your life if you let it. Learn to say "no" when the manager inevitably calls asking you to work Sunday at 6am or Friday until past midnight. Finally, you will be working in a small, hot space under high stress with coworkers who are frequently ignorant and selfish, so you better have thick skin and good communication skills.

Advice to Management

Don't promote someone to manager just because they've been there for two years. Time does not equal competence. I had too many young managers give stupid orders like "Polish the fridge!" in the middle of a lunch rush when we barely had enough people to make burgers.

reviews filtered by
  1. why am i still here....

Current Employee - Manager In Training
    Current Employee - Manager In Training

I have been working at McDonald's full-time

Pros

chances to advance, raises, some fun managers, meeting different people, good first job...great way to learn basic job skills.

Cons

get treated poorly daily, both by customers and higher management, constantly changing rules

Advice to Management

learn to respect others and maybe you'll get it.

2. It's Mickey D's, what do you expect?

Former Employee - Cashier in South Bloomfield, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in South Bloomfield, OH

I worked at McDonald's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some income is better than none.

Cons

Rude customers...comes with the territory.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge effort. Deny service to customers who treat staff poorly.

There are newer employer reviews for McDonald's