great times at McGladrey

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are excellent, majority of them coming from a Big 4 background with very impressive skill set. People can get promoted faster than Big 4 as long as they have the motivation and drive. Team atmosphere with happy hours, volunteer days, promotion parties, holloween parties etc. They will give you all the resources to succeed (labtop, IPADS etc) but it is up to you to make it happen. Always recognized for my performance. Flexible work schedules. McGladrey will give you more exposure to different clients and industries rather then being pigeon holed into one specific area and industry like at Big 4

Cons

sometimes there are negative reviews about McGladrey but I'm my opinion - its from the bitter people who couldn't get a job at McGladrey or couldn't arise to a challenge

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A sinking ship

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for McGladrey, you can expect to get exposure to the audit process from start to finish. Although clients are private and smaller than the big 4, there are many complexities. Exposure to these issues can definitely help one's career

Cons

Management is completely out of touch with those working for them. Partners stay behind there desks and despite the "we care about our people rhetoric" the culture is terrible. McGladrey prides themselves on integrity and values, however they promoted a partner who cost the firm approx $1mm as a result of a deficient audit, to lead the practice. Turnover is very high, but management will tell you all day that it is just part of the business. Forget getting a strait answer from management here. If you do work here your best bet is to avoid the office at all cost, learn as much as you can, and leave.

Advice to Management

Stop concerning yourself with economic growth and start fixing the internal problems. People are unhappy and it is being ignored. Leadership needs to stop promoting management from within, and start looking outside, as they are only perpetuating there already lack luster culture.

Working for McGladrey in Atlanta sucks!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't have any. My experience working in Atlanta showed me that the firm is a mess and the local Atlanta management is incompetent.

Cons

The firm has several policies which are not conducive to promoting good morale. They nickel and dime their employees on expenses as well. Further, the firm does not operate like a large accounting firm even though it is the 5th largest in the US. The firms offices operate as if they are local accounting firms under the McGladrey umbrella. There is not standardized practice. Audit methodology is not uniform throughout the firm. Everything is done differently depending on what office is doing the work. Long story short, they are a mess. There is a reason the entire audit staff quit at the end of 2011 and many of the tax staff left at the same time.