There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP

A sinking ship

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for McGladrey, you can expect to get exposure to the audit process from start to finish. Although clients are private and smaller than the big 4, there are many complexities. Exposure to these issues can definitely help one's career

Cons

Management is completely out of touch with those working for them. Partners stay behind there desks and despite the "we care about our people rhetoric" the culture is terrible. McGladrey prides themselves on integrity and values, however they promoted a partner who cost the firm approx $1mm as a result of a deficient audit, to lead the practice. Turnover is very high, but management will tell you all day that it is just part of the business. Forget getting a strait answer from management here. If you do work here your best bet is to avoid the office at all cost, learn as much as you can, and leave.

Stop concerning yourself with economic growth and start fixing the internal problems. People are unhappy and it is being ignored. Leadership needs to stop promoting management from within, and start looking outside, as they are only perpetuating there already lack luster culture.

reviews filtered by
  1. Tax Associate

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot of different types of tax returns from different industries. Given a lot of responsibility early on and was able to be accountable for my own work.

Cons

Long hours, not many "perks" offered by larger firms to compensate for time spent working. Raises and bonuses were not equal to performance.

Need to be more collaborative with the team instead of creating dissension.

Working for McGladrey in Atlanta sucks!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I don't have any. My experience working in Atlanta showed me that the firm is a mess and the local Atlanta management is incompetent.

Cons

The firm has several policies which are not conducive to promoting good morale. They nickel and dime their employees on expenses as well. Further, the firm does not operate like a large accounting firm even though it is the 5th largest in the US. The firms offices operate as if they are local accounting firms under the McGladrey umbrella. There is not standardized practice. Audit methodology is not uniform throughout the firm. Everything is done differently depending on what office is doing the work. Long story short, they are a mess. There is a reason the entire audit staff quit at the end of 2011 and many of the tax staff left at the same time.

There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP