There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP

Good stepping stone

Current Employee - Auditor
Current Employee - Auditor

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

There is plenty of variety in jobs and you gain lots of experience in all audit sections very quickly. They are pretty flexible about time off when needed for family and will allow you to work from home if you need to stay home for the plumber, etc. Lots of client interaction. All in all, it is a good place to work to get your time in to obtain your CPA license.

Cons

Busy season can be grueling if you don't schedule a short vacation somewhere in the middle. I stress short, otherwise you fall behind quickly in work during this time. There is little to no training when you start and upper level staff are too busy to train. High turnover, though there always is in public accounting. Can be very stressful at times. Incentive pay is non-existant in the lower levels no matter how well you do. Job performance reviews are a joke. They seem to have eliminated peer reviews and reviews of your supers, managers and directors.

Advice to Management

Career advisors and mentors are a joke - they don't have time to mentor!

reviews filtered by
  1. Great people, great clients.

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Smart Partner group that brings in interesting work and appreciates the hard work done by the staff. Good mix of mid to large size clients so you learn alot quickly.

Cons

We're still operating like a cluster of small firms even though the merger took place nearly 10 years ago. In a national environment, this has it's challenges.

Advice to Management

We're interested in growing the firm, so teach us how to sell to new clients- include us in more client meetings and prospecting visits.

Senior Audit Role at M&P

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Audit Senior in Quincy, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Steep learning curve and ability to gain a wide array of accounting and audit experience quickly. McGladrey offers unparalleled access to mid sized companies and the ability to work with management/ownership of many clients.

Cons

Although McGladrey markets itself as being a company strongly focused on work life balance, few if any of their programs to follow through on that tag line are effective or realistic.

Advice to Management

Revise the summer flex hour plan, in its current form it's not a real strong benefit. Rethink busy season and ways to truly be the employer who values work life balance - initiatives don't have to be ground breaking, maybe a flex weekend off in the middle or some form of a rotating schedule.

There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP