McGladrey LLP

There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP

Lead Tax Intern

Former Employee - Tax Intern in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Tax Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at McGladrey LLP as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, great pay, great people to work with.

Cons

The work can be overwhelming at times and can be hard to manage multiple projects simultaneously.

Onsite training would be nice.

392 Other Employee Reviews for McGladrey LLP (View Most Recent)

Great Company, some improvement needed.

I have been working at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Great company to work for, Always looking to expand marketshare, Sponsers PGA items. Golf Outings and they provide a great Work/Life balance!

Cons

Does not always follow through with certain promises.

Great experience...to take somewhere else.

Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a great deal about consulting and the healthcare industry.

Cons

1) Although I knew my performance evaluations throughout the year were excellent, there was no formula for calculating raises or bonuses and I never knew what to expect. It was like senior management sat in a room and threw darts at a dart board to determine raises/bonuses. When I know how I performed and I know what my formal evaluations look like, I should be able to at least guess what my bonus will be within a reasonable amount.

2) Too many unknowns with respect to career advancement. No one could ever give me a straight answer (and it wasn't for lack of asking) about what I needed to do to advance and how long it would take. They just kept telling me I would be promoted soon.

3) Salary ranges for different levels are such a secret. How does anyone know they want to be at the next level if you can't tell them what compensation to expect for their efforts?

4) Senior management would never involve the front line workers in bidding/negotiating the number of hours for an engagement. Once the contract was signed, front line workers are stuck trying to figure out how to complete all the work promised in so few hours. Then, the project managers were held accountable if it couldn't be done. Senior management needs to get real when it comes to selling jobs. They are out of touch with the number of hours it takes to complete a job since they never do the detailed work and never involve people who actually do the work in the bid/contracting process.

5) Expensive medical/dental for a family. Premiums were a joke. I paid apprx $7,000/yr in premiums. Plus, there was a $500 annual deductible on the medical, per person. You're paying thousands of dollars a year out of your pocket before insurance even contributes to anything.

6) 401k was nothing to brag about. It matched up to 3% per year and the company only deposits its share once a year, which means lost interest for employees. This was the worst 401k plan I've ever had -- but not by much.

7) Managers don't have much decision-making authority, even on the smaller issues.

Humble yourselves enough to actually talk to your front line workers and get their feedback/input, even on business strategy. You'll be surprised at what they can teach you.

Fix the benefits, they're terrible!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP