There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP

It was a good experience until the reorganization.

Former Employee - Business Development Director
Former Employee - Business Development Director

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Good reputation and services.

Cons

Too many management and structural changes. Too many individual kingdoms that were trying to be protected. Lacked harmony and unity among the various offices and service lines.

Find a good game plan and stick to it.

362 Other Employee Reviews for McGladrey LLP (View Most Recent)

My excellent experience at McGladrey

Former Employee - Executive Assist  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Executive Assist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best reason to work at McGladrey is that the entire organization works as a team to provide our clients with a top notch experience and relationship with our company.

Cons

The only con that I can remember during my time of employment with McGladrey was the parking situation. Since our office was located downtown Baltimore, you were required to pay for parking and the parking spaces where tight and quite a distance from the office.

My only advice to management is to clearly explain to your employees exactly what they can do to make your life easier. Provide them with more feedback as to their performance immediately and allow them sometime to correct whatever the issue may be. Finally, it's important that your HR department respond to request for recommendations from perspective employers. During these very hard economic times these request are a necessity to your former employee.

Great experience...to take somewhere else.

Former Employee - Consulting Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learned a great deal about consulting and the healthcare industry.

Cons

1) Although I knew my performance evaluations throughout the year were excellent, there was no formula for calculating raises or bonuses and I never knew what to expect. It was like senior management sat in a room and threw darts at a dart board to determine raises/bonuses. When I know how I performed and I know what my formal evaluations look like, I should be able to at least guess what my bonus will be within a reasonable amount.

2) Too many unknowns with respect to career advancement. No one could ever give me a straight answer (and it wasn't for lack of asking) about what I needed to do to advance and how long it would take. They just kept telling me I would be promoted soon.

3) Salary ranges for different levels are such a secret. How does anyone know they want to be at the next level if you can't tell them what compensation to expect for their efforts?

4) Senior management would never involve the front line workers in bidding/negotiating the number of hours for an engagement. Once the contract was signed, front line workers are stuck trying to figure out how to complete all the work promised in so few hours. Then, the project managers were held accountable if it couldn't be done. Senior management needs to get real when it comes to selling jobs. They are out of touch with the number of hours it takes to complete a job since they never do the detailed work and never involve people who actually do the work in the bid/contracting process.

5) Expensive medical/dental for a family. Premiums were a joke. I paid apprx $7,000/yr in premiums. Plus, there was a $500 annual deductible on the medical, per person. You're paying thousands of dollars a year out of your pocket before insurance even contributes to anything.

6) 401k was nothing to brag about. It matched up to 3% per year and the company only deposits its share once a year, which means lost interest for employees. This was the worst 401k plan I've ever had -- but not by much.

7) Managers don't have much decision-making authority, even on the smaller issues.

Humble yourselves enough to actually talk to your front line workers and get their feedback/input, even on business strategy. You'll be surprised at what they can teach you.

Fix the benefits, they're terrible!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!