There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP

Working at McGladrey has for the most part met my expectations and has the potential to meet my career goals.

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

Lots of interesting work and clients.
Provides a good opportunity to create your own path and control advancement.
Work / life balance is highly valued and equally supported by quantifiable actions.

Cons

Business development support is weak on the consulting side of the business.
Administrative activities are numerous and not well documented / trained to.
Though the company doesn't adhere closely to a formal heirarchy, their use of titles with associated responsibilities / scope clearly define roles which create an implied heirarchy which people have difficulty working outside of. I.e. if your role is broader than the "typical" scope people associate with your title, they can have difficulty adjusting.
The company is organization around "regions" which due to the metrics in place doesn't support cross regional cooperation.

Advice to Management

Create a more integrated / collaborative organization by dropping the rigid metrics and recognition measures that don't support cross-region cooperation and overall organizational success.

reviews filtered by
  1. Absolutely amazing career-oriented firm

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

The people are great, the partners are accessible and willing to work with younger staff, great clientele and awesome opportunities.

Cons

Nothing that I have seen so far.

2. Great firm to work for but the their payscales are on the low side.

Current Employee - Tax Senior in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in Seattle, WA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people are team oriented and the firm can provide you with opportunities to better your skill set.

Cons

The firm's pay scale is too low and a lot of people leave to find better paying positions. The firm is lacking with respect to handling the mentoring piece of the pie. Although they have just instituted a 'career advisor" review, I doubt it will work in the smaller offices due to overall office "politics".

Advice to Management

Management needs to work on the "McGladrey" brand. Potential clients still look at me and say "who is McGladrey". A lot of talent is being lost due to the lack of mentoring from CAs and having such low pay scales in relation to other firms. This will become a big "miss" for the firm in the next 5 - 10 years as the baby-boom generation retires.