McGladrey LLP

There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Blue Bell, PA
Current Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great People to work with. Good money.

Cons

Long hours and have to travel often

Try to schedule people on clients closer to their homes. Employees would be more willing to work longer hours.

406 Other Employee Reviews for McGladrey LLP (View Most Recent)

Working at McGladrey has for the most part met my expectations and has the potential to meet my career goals.

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

Lots of interesting work and clients.
    Provides a good opportunity to create your own path and control advancement.
    Work / life balance is highly valued and equally supported by quantifiable actions.

Cons

Business development support is weak on the consulting side of the business.
    Administrative activities are numerous and not well documented / trained to.
    Though the company doesn't adhere closely to a formal heirarchy, their use of titles with associated responsibilities / scope clearly define roles which create an implied heirarchy which people have difficulty working outside of. I.e. if your role is broader than the "typical" scope people associate with your title, they can have difficulty adjusting.
    The company is organization around "regions" which due to the metrics in place doesn't support cross regional cooperation.

Create a more integrated / collaborative organization by dropping the rigid metrics and recognition measures that don't support cross-region cooperation and overall organizational success.

Great Compromise Between Life and Public Accounting

Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to practice tax across all entity types (1040,1041,990, Estate/Gift, 1065, 1120, 1120s) for both Federal and State purposes. No pigeon holing like at the big four. Solid pay and benefits for tax practitioners with CPA licenses. Busy season (3.15, 4.15, 9.15, 10.15) hours closer to 60 billable hour maximum, as opposed to big four 80 hour billable weeks. I am judged on the quality of my work, not just the quantity of my output. I actually like my partners. I work with them directly; they aren’t just egotistical figure heads in corner offices.

We have been growing in the South Sound (Tacoma, WA) steadily over the last three years while our competitors are struggling to keep their clients.

One thing to keep in mind is that every office is different. I may really like my Tacoma office but the Seattle office is an entirely different environment, even though we use the same processes for our service (I'm not inferring anything about the Seattle office; it's just an example).

I really enjoy my Tacoma co-workers!

Cons

It’s still public accounting and work/life balance is not possible for a service based partnership. A Jockey is to a Partner as a Horse is to an Associate. They have to whip us to keep up production, but need to make sure they don’t kill us in the process. It’s the nature of the beast in public accounting and I don’t blame the partners. Our technology is three years behind most firms, but the partners are quickly trying to shorten the gap with Citrix servers and better paperless options along with automated workpaper processes for most businesses.

It takes three years to get a bonus; that is far too long in public accounting. My partner does recognize that and hopes to change it.

Continue focusing on improving efficiency through technology. Public accounting should yield a bonus before three years; that can't continue if you desire to keep your talent.

There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP