There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP

Absolutely amazing career-oriented firm

Current Employee - Audit Associate  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Audit Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

The people are great, the partners are accessible and willing to work with younger staff, great clientele and awesome opportunities.

Cons

Nothing that I have seen so far.

359 Other Employee Reviews for McGladrey LLP (View Most Recent)

Great Compromise Between Life and Public Accounting

Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate  in  Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to practice tax across all entity types (1040,1041,990, Estate/Gift, 1065, 1120, 1120s) for both Federal and State purposes. No pigeon holing like at the big four. Solid pay and benefits for tax practitioners with CPA licenses. Busy season (3.15, 4.15, 9.15, 10.15) hours closer to 60 billable hour maximum, as opposed to big four 80 hour billable weeks. I am judged on the quality of my work, not just the quantity of my output. I actually like my partners. I work with them directly; they aren’t just egotistical figure heads in corner offices.

We have been growing in the South Sound (Tacoma, WA) steadily over the last three years while our competitors are struggling to keep their clients.

One thing to keep in mind is that every office is different. I may really like my Tacoma office but the Seattle office is an entirely different environment, even though we use the same processes for our service (I'm not inferring anything about the Seattle office; it's just an example).

I really enjoy my Tacoma co-workers!

Cons

It’s still public accounting and work/life balance is not possible for a service based partnership. A Jockey is to a Partner as a Horse is to an Associate. They have to whip us to keep up production, but need to make sure they don’t kill us in the process. It’s the nature of the beast in public accounting and I don’t blame the partners. Our technology is three years behind most firms, but the partners are quickly trying to shorten the gap with Citrix servers and better paperless options along with automated workpaper processes for most businesses.

It takes three years to get a bonus; that is far too long in public accounting. My partner does recognize that and hopes to change it.

Continue focusing on improving efficiency through technology. Public accounting should yield a bonus before three years; that can't continue if you desire to keep your talent.

Tax Associate

Current Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get experience through variety of types of returns, staff people are good to work with and flexible hours

Cons

Long working hours during busy season and 40hours of work during non busy season. No bonus for staff.

There are newer employer reviews for McGladrey LLP

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!