Potential is there, but it's mostly just disappointing.

Former Employee - Assistant Editor  in  Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Columbus, OH

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The salary, and the fact that other companies are impressed by your credentials when you eventually leave and get a better job elsewhere.

Cons

No feedback, constructive criticism, or job descriptions to speak of. This seems to be on purpose...to justify any questionable promotions and to keep employees guessing and worried. Or to hide the fact that management has no idea what anybody is doing. The place is so unstable that micromanagement is rampant and covering your you-know-what is the only priority. This happens at a lot of companies, but there is a bit of denial and a belief that this company is above that.

There is no real review process. Employees come to a review ready to talk about their contributions, only to be assured that they are doing "fine" and given other vague compliments and no feedback at all on how to improve. Rookies might fall for this, but it's clear that management can't provide information because they don't actually know what employees are doing. There is no growth or learning for the employee, or, even worse, an employee who is not performing well might actually believe that they are "fine." As far as management knows, they are. No one wins here.

Other Reviews for McGraw-Hill Education

Lots of hours during peak seasons and off season

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you like to read --you'll have plenty of email to review and respond to everyday.

Cons

Management tends to be "my way" and outside of the box thinking is not rewarded. They've taken a page out of the pharma industry and are trying to make the publishing sales business into the same mold.

I've held multiple jobs within multiple organizations.

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The coworkers are committed to education and have the best interests of students at heart. Many educators use our programs to successfully educate children. The educators use and expand on our programs and that makes us part of the education community.

Cons

The company is very financially driven. Programs are evaluated on their financial success rather than their success in educating students. It is difficult to innovate outside the established silos and many parts of the company struggle to cooperate with one another.

Finance should not drive all company decisions. They should influence, but not have veto power.

There are newer employer reviews for McGraw-Hill Education.

Worked for McGraw-Hill Education? Contribute to the Community!