There are newer employer reviews for McGraw-Hill Education

Great quality of life... without the money.

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in New York, NY
Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education

Pros

- Even though the goal is to make money, the way they do it is by making books that help teachers teach better and students learn more - this is rewarding.
 - Roles are clearly differentiated - you know what your job is. When something isn't part of your job, giving it to the correct person is such a part of the daily process that you don't feel guilty doing it.
 - There were clear policies in place for practically everything - salaries, benefits, vacations, reviews, admin work. This saved me a lot of time - I didn't have to search for information on everything I needed. It was laid out in front of me from Day 1.
 - There are yearly performance and salary reviews - I know most places say they do this, but then they really don't. At McGraw-Hill, you really will get feedback from at least two people (your supervisor and his/her supervisor), and probably at least a minor raise in pay.
 - They have programs that reward people when they do exceptionally good work, or when they have been at the company for a long time. Rewards were significant (I got the lowest level reward, which was $500).
 - They have programs in place to help their employees grow; for example, they have "volunteer day," book clubs where you actually meet the authors, and mentoring programs.
 - Hours are not bad at all. I worked 9-5, often left at 4:30, and never left after 6. My department was so good about planning ahead and foreseeing problems that we never had to stay late.
 - GREAT benefits

Cons

- It feels somewhat unstable. I arrived right after a huge round of layoffs, and left right before another huge round. The layoffs weren't decided based on how well people were doing their job - excellent employees from all different departments were let go. I think almost everyone knew others who lost their jobs. Every month or two, another rumor started about new layoffs or a reorganization. This made for a somewhat intimidating atmosphere.
 - While the atmosphere was cordial, it was not friendly. People spent time with others from their own departments. If you were in a very small department, it was very difficult to get to know many people.
 - The salary was mediocre at best. This is not so much a flaw of the company as a flaw of the educational publishing industry as a whole.
 - It is a BIG company. While a lot of the pros in the above section were actually made possible by the largeness of the company, it can also be a negative. You don't know the people making major decisions about your department, your workload, and your job stability. Even if you do a great job and your boss knows it, it won't necessesarily be your boss who decides whether you keep your job when the company reorganizes. It could be someone who you have never met and who has never seen your work product.
 - There was a bit of a strain between the Macmillan and Glencoe groups - the two had merged right before I arrived, and even when I left two years later, there was an obvious division between the groups. It was still cordial, but slightly divisive.
 - As with many companies, moving up depended on who you knew. Middle/senior management made some decisions based, in part, on their friendships. If you (or your boss) were not close to the right people, it became a much greater challenge to move up.

- Find a way to increase salaries, even if only by a bit; people appreciate the "quality of life" aspect, but don't want to live on a low salary for more than a year or two.
 - In trying to motivate employees, do not only emphasize sales. Also emphasize the good that the McGraw-Hill programs are doing - maybe follow a classroom's progress as they use a McGraw-Hill textbook.
 - Find ways to make your "lower-level" employees feel valued. For example, stop focusing only on senior employees in the newsletters.
 - Find ways to make the departments work together. I had a great department that worked together cohesively, and I know many of the other departments also worked together well. The different policies, standards, and goals upheld by the different departments, though, made it harder for the departments to work together.
 - When the organization is doing well, make sure to let employees know. Maybe this will make people feel like their jobs are more secure, during the good times at least.
 - Conduct focus groups/interviews regularly with people from all different departments/levels of the company to find out what is working for them and what is hard for them. Unnecessary hindrances can cause a major lack of productivity.
 - Increase the focus on market research, in order to know your market and meet its needs better.
 - Allow people to work from home more! I worked from home several days a week, and I was more productive on those days than on the days when I was in the office. I could concentrate better, because I wasn't sitting in a cubicle surrounded by noise. This may not be true for every employee, but giving supervisers the freedom to decide to let their employees work from home (without all the technicalities of going through HR) could be a good thing.

reviews filtered by

Good people but too much inaction at the moment

Current Employee - Editor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Editor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education

Pros

MHE still has a good base of people at its core. The benefits are excellent, pay is reasonable, and the work can be fun, when times are good.

Cons

Of course, like any company, MHE has had to lay off a lot of people recently. That is one thing that comes with the territory and which has, of course, decreased morale. But what is most problematic isn't even that. It is promoting people at random without posting the jobs (so based merely on preferential treatment) and then the rest of your company has to do walkarounds with those "managers" since they aren't doing their jobs. But the contracted workers they send to random comp houses all over the USA, who had to work illegal hours of overtime? Do they get promotions? Of course not! That would be too logical.

The very obvious problem right now at least in our division is that there are two VPs in place--unnecessary--and it is very obvious which one seems to be the problem.

Stop promoting at random and start looking at those who actually work hard. If not, your company is doomed to fail.

McGraw Hill, a Good place to Hang Out till you retire or find a better job

Current Employee - Medical Publishing Editor, McGrawHill Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education

Pros

I think if you want a place to work that people are rewarded for staying in their existing roles and that they can show up late, and leave at 4:30, its a great place to work

Cons

Every day I come to work, and it just feels like we are falling farther and farther behind, yet everyone is more interested in the Coffee machine and if they could leave ok at 4pm

To really look at our competitors and see what they are doing. Particularly we've reduced ourselves to making money basically on only medical publishing of paper books, yet my friends in med school will never use the paper books we produce. Its all online, yet we continue the paper printing business, because that is all we know. The dirty secret that you dont find out till you work here is that the online services that we have are all done by other companies, and we dont do any of the new work ourselves. If you ask to move from Print publishing to digital they tell you know, and in fact the smart people in our group that know the digital market leave when they get a better job.

There are newer employer reviews for McGraw-Hill Education