McKean Defense Group

www.mckean-defense.com
  www.mckean-defense.com
There are newer employer reviews for McKean Defense Group

Not your typical GOV/DoD Contracts company.

Former Employee - IT Pro in West Bethesda, MD
Former Employee - IT Pro in West Bethesda, MD

I worked at McKean Defense Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you have dealt with contracting companies, you might find that there is typically a mercenary approach to how they operate because of the nature of the bid win/loss process. I am very happy to report that McKean Defense Group breaks that stereotype. This is a company that will treat you as you would want to be treated. I have nothing but good things to say in all aspects of this companies behavior.

Cons

As a former employee that worked for McKean Defense Group for several years, I really have nothing bad to say about the company. I am an outspoken critic and have no problem calling BS when the occasion arises, but really I was shocked to find that these folks do care about the on site contractors.

Really the only thing I could say is thanks for everything and don't change!

17 Other Employee Reviews for McKean Defense Group (View Most Recent)

Interview was pretty informal for the maintenance position.

I have been working at McKean Defense Group

Pros

Very friendly staff
    HR was very proactive
    Salary very competitive with other defense contractors.

Cons

Just started with McKean and I have nothing negative to report. Will revisit this review after 90 days.

Dissatisfied with the company and did not have the best experience

I worked at McKean Defense Group full-time

Pros

This is a good place to work if you are lucky enough to get a good manager. The managers personalities and how they operate are inconsistent. Some allow flex time and the ability to work from home, which is great, but if you are one of the unlucky few, you will have to be in the office Monday through Friday while others are allowed to make their own schedules. Another pro to working for McKean is that it is in a brand new building and all of the equipment/software is up to date

Cons

The cons are unfortunately endless. In my interview, I was pitched the idea that I would have a lot of growth and the opportunity to work with a team while using the skill set I went to school for. At McKean, their idea of team work is that everyone works on the same project at the same time and communicates through passive aggressive emails. There is no collaboration involved. I also did not use any of the skills I acquired in college because my main tasking was editing PowerPoint slides, not for content, but to change the shading and border colors of shapes.

Another con to the company is that the PMs are inappropriate at best. There are many comments that are borderline harassing.

Finally, if you enjoy being micromanaged with vague direction, this is the place for you. I would receive emails notifying me of tasks and before I could read the entire email, I had someone at my desk reiterating every minute detail written in the email that I was currently reading. I was required to give constant updates on every project I did and if an email went unanswered, because I was say, in the restroom, someone was at my desk asking if I saw the email. I would also receive emails about a project that didnt make sense, and when I asked questions about it, I was told to reread the email and to use my "creative interpretation', which was always wrong.

This company says they are growing, but just because they hire people to fill the people that are leaving does not mean growth. They will most likely have a steady outlook on the surface, but the turnover rate seems to be high

I think a manager should actually BE a manager, not just avoid saying hello to their employees in the hallway. My manager was uninspiring, uncommunicative, and pompous. The only time he spoke to his direct reports was to remind us that we are salaried employees and should work as many hours as necessary to finish the job, and not request over time.

There are newer employer reviews for McKean Defense Group