There are newer employer reviews for McKesson

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Professional Services Manager  in  Alpharetta, GA
Current Employee - Professional Services Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to work for. Very flexible and will allow you to work from home several days a week. Also a great company to grow and expand your career. It is by far the best company I have worked for.

Cons

Lots of red tape, like any other large company.

listen to your staff and first line managers.

544 Other Employee Reviews for McKesson (View Most Recent)

Positive experience at McKesson while there for 7 years.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at McKesson as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Growing company provided many opportunities in the IT environment for development and growth as an individual.

Cons

Almost regular departmental reorganizations resulted in severe cutbacks and a loss of security.

If jobs need to be shed the decision process should be based on performance.

Nice place to work, but I wouldn't want to live there

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked for McKesson for 5 years and each year I kept hoping it would get better. They definately have the best Cardiology product on the market and they continually strive to make improvements and develop tools to make things easier. Their compensation package is average to low, compared to similiar positions elsewhere. My co-workers were great and we were like a family.

Cons

This company is management heavy and driven by a bottom line. When I started, I was salaried and was minimally trained, but became a "go-to" field engineer in about 8 months, thanks to my work ethic. At about a year and a half, the company decided to put me (and my colleagues) in an hourly bracket and this worked well for the short term, until they realized how many hours were truly required to do the job.All of the sudden management was more concerned with what were doing each and every minute of the day and less concerned with customer satisfaction. As we became more process (and paperwork) intensive, tracking everything, the work began to slow. Sales people began to focus on other products and our management decided that instead of sending a team of people onsite (2-8 people) to do the job, now one person can do it all and can have remote support if something goes wrong. Now, instead of being family like, it's every man for himself. The project managers don't really know how the system works so we end up doing their jobs too. It's a real shame that things are heading that way.
    If you're looking for a career path, McKesson isn't it. If you do your job well they would rather pidgeon-hole you and make sure you keep doing the job you're good at. Promotions come based on who you know and being just competant enough not to get fired or if you get too good and threaten to leave to the right people. In any event, management is not focused where it should be.

Refocus on customer service, restructure your pricing to allow for the teams that your customers expect on-site, it's a great product and they'll pay for it if they believe you have their backs. Hire good managers, engineers,and clinicals and let them do the job you hired them for. Micromanagement is a bad thing and makes your employees believe you don't trust them to do their job. When that happens, you loose good people.

There are newer employer reviews for McKesson

Worked for McKesson? Contribute to the Community!