McKesson

www.mckesson.com

McKesson USED to be a good company to work for.

Senior Technical Implementation Engineer (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsI started working at HBO & Co in 1993. Eventually we were bought out by McKesson. I worked there for over 17 years. I used to enjoy my job as an engineer but it really went downhill when the McKesson stock dropped by $60 per share in one day. Then towards the end of my employment our team was cut in half due to turnover but never replaced them. We were very overworked and no longer received incentives too. Then raises became less and less while executives made an astonishing amount of money. McKesson is the Walmart of the healthcare industry. I know this is the Pros section but I just can't find anything good to say about this company. Yep, there was one good thing....I got to work from home. My other colleagues worked from their homes all over the US because there was no office to go to. Worked in technical implementations which meant a lot of travel for some (80 - 90%). The technology became even more challenging but there was no training on it. One had to fly by the seat of their pants. Finally, the last straw was no raises. Managers were not allowed to give high ratings to employees on their reviews. They had to limit it to maybe one employee in our team. People had no incentive to do their best. We used to get monetary awards if someone nominated you. There was also bonuses years ago, now gone. Re-org's were done all the time it seems. I had 8 bosses within an 8 year period. These managers never tried to get to know you and your capabilities. It was like starting from scratch all over again. They did allow promotion to management if you were deemed a "Golden Boy". Unfortunately, they would not train them on how to manage people. I had so many bad managers that way. A guy who was an Analyst would become a manger for a department he never worked in which made the learning curve even harder for them which in turn reflected on us.

ConsSalary is low, benefits are very expensive, non-caring management, poor managers and directors, unattainable goals, overworked, no replacing people when they leave, lack of respect from management since none of them actually knew what we did. The list goes on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo management - start by respecting your employees by giving them incentives and treating each fairly instead of being persuaded by brown nosers. You must not be greedy with your employees. The company is doing good so why treat employees that way. The employees will be less productive because they are not rewarded for a job well done. When you treat your employees good comes good results!

Technical Manager

Technical Manager (Former Employee) North Atlanta, GA

I worked at McKesson part-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Benefits, flexibility, and job security. Great HR. Cons: Lack of business flow knowledge at VP level Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

I was working solo, did not get sufficient mentoring, and was told that I was working too slowly.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

I worked at McKesson as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: None that I can think of. Cons: They work you very hard. Advice to Senior Management: Offer new hires more training. The senior people there… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on McKesson.

Worked for McKesson? Contribute to the Community!