There are newer employer reviews for McKesson

Great company, but arrogant management

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Boston, MA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at McKesson

Pros

Compensation and bonus package for software developers are great. Also it is a low pressure work environment. People there tend stay for a long time and some build long-term friendships. If you do not care about your career and only want to have a stable well paid low-pressure job with friendly people around you, then MCK is for you.

Cons

If you want to learn new things and work with smart people on challenging projects then look elsewhere, but consider a salary cut. Because it is hard to leave all this money behind, MCK can be a career killer for you if you are a talented engineer. Also, there is a lot of politics and unfair promotions. As in any company that doesn't have too much work to do, but has a lot of money to spare, the decisions on who to promote are based on who is the favorite manager's pet as opposed to who gets the most work done. Also, MCK should train managers to be more sensitive to people. There used to be nice managers in MCK, but the recent trend is: "shut up and do what I say, nobody is irreplaceable". They seem to think that because the pay is so good people will just put up with any kind of treatment and many of people do, but I knew several who just walked out on the spot or found a new job with less pay, but better for their mental state. In addition to that many highly skilled and therefore marketable people left to work on better managed projects, and because of that they don't know how to build software products anymore and good example of that is how MMP failed miserably.

Fix management issues. Reduce the number of managers.

543 Other Employee Reviews for McKesson (View Most Recent)

Great potential, great people, messed up management

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I worked at McKesson

Pros

Meaning full work that provides improved patient safety which in turn saves lives.

Cons

Upper management doesn't have clarity in decision rights, so messages are confusing, inconsistent, and at times contradictory. This in turn produces inefficiencies in operations and dissatisfaction in the workforce.

While integrity and respect are two of the stated core values of the company, all too often management fails to be honest about performance evaluations or appropriately judging the value of its people.

Accountability seems to be missing. When management gets things wrong, the heads that roll are those of the workers below rather than the management. In other words, poor management is not held accountable, but rather the one's executing the (mismanaged) strategy are held at fault.

Figure out who makes what decisions and synchronize the messages to the employees and then be consistent.

Hold yourselves accountable for failure rather than always blaming those who work for you and those lateral to you. Accept that, if something goes wrong, it is YOU who should have mitigated the risk, made the adjustments sooner, etc.

Working for the Horizon Clinicals division of the McKesson Provider Solutions business unit means that I save lives.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Working for the clinical software division of McKesson (the Horizon Clinicals division of the McKesson Provider Technologies business unit) means that I directly help doctors and nurses do their jobs faster, better, and more safely. The products that my division makes really do save lives every day and positively impacts patient care.

Cons

As with many other software companies, sometimes the life/work balance can become a bit askew. The current management does a nice job of recognizing this issue, but other regimes have been less responsive. Also working for a huge company means that there are often monolithic barriers to get over to implement enterprise solutions.

Always remember that, even though your employees very much appreciate working towards our important mission, we still have lives that are very important to us as well.

There are newer employer reviews for McKesson

Worked for McKesson? Contribute to the Community!