There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company

great place to pick up some skills, but not for the long-term

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at McKinsey & Company

Pros

1. people are very bright and motivated: mck consistently recruits the best and brightest
2. some interesting opportunities: i did a study in dubai for the two largest banks in the uae
3. excellent resume builder: mck is recognized the world over

Cons

1. tough lifestyle: 70 or 80 hours is not uncommon, but you don't get paid like in banking
2. work can be tedious: like turning slides over and over until the anal partner is satisfied? i hope so
3. impact of effort not always clear: you can spend 3 months on a study and all you have to show for it is a deck

Advice to Management

don't kill your teams for clients on useless studies

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

McK: Work Hard, Play Hard

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Especially as someone just coming out of undergrad, there is no other industry that allows you this level of access to key decision-makers, tough problems, and major players -- which all translates into an unparalleled opportunity to make an impact. While other jobs might be more "feel good" and less corporate, being a low-level staffer does not allow you to contribute at the same meaningful level. At McK, you will be given as much responsibility as you can take on, as soon as you can handle it -- while working to address some very interesting questions. McK is the leader in its field, and thus draws amazing clients and employees. Furthermore, I have never heard of another workplace with such a level of feedback and development opportunities. You will work HARD - but also never feel like management doesn't care.

Cons

The consulting lifestyle can be rough. Travel, long hours, and constant collaboration may not be a good fit for many people. You do need to be prepared to sacrifice some of your personal lifestyle preferences, though I've found that teams typically try to accommodate lifestyle requests. It may also be easy to get swallowed by McK, as many people work together and play together - so between team/firm/class/office events and trips (all very fun) and actual work, sometimes it is possible to get McK tunnel vision. You will also be surrounded by incredibly bright, outgoing people - so be prepared to be "on" all the time.

Advice to Management

None!

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Incredible opportunity to work with leading companies, top government officials and thinkers to tackle some of the most challenging issues in the world today. Over the past year I have participated in many professional development courses, have pushed myself to be a better communicator and thinker. McKinsey has greatly supported me in developing core business skills. I am glad I came here.

Cons

Long hours, lots of travel - can be difficult on personal life. I think I have accumulated 200,000 frequent flier miles this year, and I have no desire to use them because the last thing I want to do is to get back on a plane for vacation!

Advice to Management

Make sure to continue to support Associates in pursuing their interests within the firm.