Great people, excellent benefits, but limited opportunities for non-consultants

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People are professional, decent, smart, collaborative, and hard-working. The team-oriented structure and collaborative work ethic make doing most projects at McKinsey relatively enjoyable. Every place has office politics, but it seems much less than what friends have described at other firms. When you reach out to someone for help, they will most often be willing to work with you. Also, the problem-solving skills, communication skills, and attention to detail that is required have helped me on many endeavors outside the firm.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for non-consultants. This is understandable in that consulting is the core business and the entire model is oriented around that professional track. Many people with whom I have worked on the non-consulting track are actually overqualified for their roles, and the firm does not alway know how to use them to the best advantage. For non-consultants, I think McKinsey is good as a starting point if you are just beginning your career - after a couple years you can move on. Or, for experienced professionals, it's a good mid-career change if you are looking for a different way to apply what you have already learned but are not that concerned with moving up the career ladder.

The single-minded focus on outsourcing all support functions (i.e., visual design, research, secretarial services) and emphasis on "hoteling" consultants is damaging to the value system the firm tries to uphold. This fracturing of the staff means that people do not really understand what anyone else does, and the behavior modeling that was such an important part of transferring firm values is far more difficult (or nonexistent) when there is limited interaction between leadership and everyone else, and among different groups of people.

Other Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Not so good for experienced hires

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

good experience in analysis and strategy

Cons

Not the right place for an exerienced hire

Great at helping our clients but we don't always manage ourselves so well

Current Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are great, very smart, nice people, fun to work with, everyone works hard

Cons

I am a manager in a support role and this is a very ambiguous culture for us. It's impossible to get anything done without lots of partner support, and yet everything takes a long time and a lot of effort because if the partners can't agree they let things ride because the culture is so consensus oriented.

Don't hold your managers responsible for things not getting done when you are unwilling to lead or make hard decisions

There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company.

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!