McKinsey & Company
www.mckinsey.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Great people, excellent benefits, but limited opportunities for non-consultants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople are professional, decent, smart, collaborative, and hard-working. The team-oriented structure and collaborative work ethic make doing most projects at McKinsey relatively enjoyable. Every place has office politics, but it seems much less than what friends have described at other firms. When you reach out to someone for help, they will most often be willing to work with you. Also, the problem-solving skills, communication skills, and attention to detail that is required have helped me on many endeavors outside the firm.

ConsThere are limited opportunities for non-consultants. This is understandable in that consulting is the core business and the entire model is oriented around that professional track. Many people with whom I have worked on the non-consulting track are actually overqualified for their roles, and the firm does not alway know how to use them to the best advantage. For non-consultants, I think McKinsey is good as a starting point if you are just beginning your career - after a couple years you can move on. Or, for experienced professionals, it's a good mid-career change if you are looking for a different way to apply what you have already learned but are not that concerned with moving up the career ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe single-minded focus on outsourcing all support functions (i.e., visual design, research, secretarial services) and emphasis on "hoteling" consultants is damaging to the value system the firm tries to uphold. This fracturing of the staff means that people do not really understand what anyone else does, and the behavior modeling that was such an important part of transferring firm values is far more difficult (or nonexistent) when there is limited interaction between leadership and everyone else, and among different groups of people.

One of the best places to work.

Professional Staff (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Exceptionally smart and collaborative people -- teamwork is everything at McKinsey. The work is almost always interesting because it's so important to the clients;… Cons: Consultants' hours can be brutal. Consultants in general, and… Advice to Senior Management: Stop talking about values; start demonstrating them. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great at helping our clients but we don't always manage ourselves so well

Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Pay and benefits are great, very smart, nice people, fun… Cons: I am a manager in a support role and this is a very ambiguous culture for us. It's impossible to get anything done without… Advice to Senior Management: Don't hold your managers responsible for things not getting done… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on McKinsey & Company.

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McKinsey & Company CEO Dominic Barton. All reviews posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees.