There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company

non consultant

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

good brand value, good people, good work environment, good salaries, decent work life balance for non-consultants, easy job, not very demanding

Cons

only good for consultants, have to start at the bottom unless you have a brand name on your resume, not much career growth opportunities for non-consultants

947 Other Employee Reviews for McKinsey & Company (View Most Recent)

It is all about perspective - can be a highly lucrative launchpad!

Former Employee - Engagement Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time

Pros

Mckinsey & Company is an intense, ever changing environment where either you flourish or you don't. It can be an immensely great opportunity as a springboard to your next great thing - especially if you can network well. High volume of work can expose you to a lot - but you either sink or swim (it can also be a con like I said it's all about perspective). As an Engagement Manager you deal from product start to finish. I definitely enjoyed working there as I am very aggressive and ambitious and it helped that I had an awesome team. I can not stress enough the importance of clear, concise, effective communication!!!!!! Because your colleagues have a wealth of knowledge - if you can effectively tap into that it will make everything easier, efficient, and a heck of a lot more interesting. In regards to compensation - it's good but look at it as the doorway to even greater compensation if/once you bridge out - this is first hand knowledge!!!!!

Cons

While you are there, it will be difficult to balance anything else. Long work hours, high volume of work- so work life balance is what you make of it. Attention EM's: if your team sucks you will need to really work on your communication skills, otherwise it's going to be a rough ride. As an EM if your arrogance is not commensurate to your talent you will also find it very stressful - I put this as a con considering the very nature of a large group EA's within the company (being a lunatic does not directly correlate to being successful nor does it augment the opening of doors the inverse, however, is true). Job security if you don't pull your weight.

Great first job in the business world

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great way to learn a lot about many different kinds of business issues and problems

Cons

Too much travel. Often spend too much time on polishing presentations rather than work on solving problems.

There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!