Great company, a little stiff.

Former Employee - Summer Business Analyst  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Summer Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros

McKinsey has an incredible reputation. While you're working there you will be surrounded by some of the smartest people around. The firm opens up lots of opportunities if you want to leave.

Cons

People at McKinsey have incredibly high opinions of themselves and tend to be hyper-competitive. The office is high stress and the work can be tedious. Additionally, in the software division, the pay is lower than what you would get at a tech company, and the work is unreliable; some days you are drowning in it and others you're not even sure why you came into the office. The communication within the firm isn't great--I met many people who hadn't even heard of my division.

Other Reviews for McKinsey & Company

It is all about perspective - can be a highly lucrative launchpad!

Former Employee - Engagement Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time

Pros

Mckinsey & Company is an intense, ever changing environment where either you flourish or you don't. It can be an immensely great opportunity as a springboard to your next great thing - especially if you can network well. High volume of work can expose you to a lot - but you either sink or swim (it can also be a con like I said it's all about perspective). As an Engagement Manager you deal from product start to finish. I definitely enjoyed working there as I am very aggressive and ambitious and it helped that I had an awesome team. I can not stress enough the importance of clear, concise, effective communication!!!!!! Because your colleagues have a wealth of knowledge - if you can effectively tap into that it will make everything easier, efficient, and a heck of a lot more interesting. In regards to compensation - it's good but look at it as the doorway to even greater compensation if/once you bridge out - this is first hand knowledge!!!!!

Cons

While you are there, it will be difficult to balance anything else. Long work hours, high volume of work- so work life balance is what you make of it. Attention EM's: if your team sucks you will need to really work on your communication skills, otherwise it's going to be a rough ride. As an EM if your arrogance is not commensurate to your talent you will also find it very stressful - I put this as a con considering the very nature of a large group EA's within the company (being a lunatic does not directly correlate to being successful nor does it augment the opening of doors the inverse, however, is true). Job security if you don't pull your weight.

Great

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart people. Great benefits. Interesting work.

Cons

Some people work insanely long hours.

There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company.

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!