There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company

Great company, a little stiff.

Former Intern - Summer Business Analyst in New York, NY
Former Intern - Summer Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

McKinsey has an incredible reputation. While you're working there you will be surrounded by some of the smartest people around. The firm opens up lots of opportunities if you want to leave.

Cons

People at McKinsey have incredibly high opinions of themselves and tend to be hyper-competitive. The office is high stress and the work can be tedious. Additionally, in the software division, the pay is lower than what you would get at a tech company, and the work is unreliable; some days you are drowning in it and others you're not even sure why you came into the office. The communication within the firm isn't great--I met many people who hadn't even heard of my division.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It is all about perspective - can be a highly lucrative launchpad!

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time

Pros

Mckinsey & Company is an intense, ever changing environment where either you flourish or you don't. It can be an immensely great opportunity as a springboard to your next great thing - especially if you can network well. High volume of work can expose you to a lot - but you either sink or swim (it can also be a con like I said it's all about perspective). As an Engagement Manager you deal from product start to finish. I definitely enjoyed working there as I am very aggressive and ambitious and it helped that I had an awesome team. I can not stress enough the importance of clear, concise, effective communication!!!!!! Because your colleagues have a wealth of knowledge - if you can effectively tap into that it will make everything easier, efficient, and a heck of a lot more interesting. In regards to compensation - it's good but look at it as the doorway to even greater compensation if/once you bridge out - this is first hand knowledge!!!!!

Cons

While you are there, it will be difficult to balance anything else. Long work hours, high volume of work- so work life balance is what you make of it. Attention EM's: if your team sucks you will need to really work on your communication skills, otherwise it's going to be a rough ride. As an EM if your arrogance is not commensurate to your talent you will also find it very stressful - I put this as a con considering the very nature of a large group EA's within the company (being a lunatic does not directly correlate to being successful nor does it augment the opening of doors the inverse, however, is true). Job security if you don't pull your weight.

Amazing, impactful, values-based place

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Deeply values-based firm, focused on client impact. Amazing opportunities to help people, learn and grow, and innovate. The place is filled with people who really care for each other. In many ways McKinsey is less a place to work and more a lifelong community

Cons

No real downsides. The firm is incredibly transparent with its people so you know what is expected of you. The work is demanding - real mission impossible stuff - but that's how firm members develop so quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!