There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company

Exciting work, amazing colleagues, long hours

Former Employee - Business Analyst
Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is fascinating: You are working with top executives on some of the problems that keep them up on night. That means they're interested in the success of your work and will take the time to listen.

The people at McKinsey are phenomenal. Beside the intellectual rigor, you meet great conversationalists who have done extraordinary things prior to their career (think Olympic-level).

The Firm is extremely focused on developing its employees. Not only do all consultants partake in annual training sessions (sometimes taught by top business school professors), but there are special diversity training sessions (e.g., female leadership). Employees are also treated extremely well: Benefits are outstanding, all social events include family members (this includes office retreats!), employees asked to leave are given paid search time with the full support of the Firm.

Cons

Lifestyle is not great. Not only are there long hours (8am-8pm is considered great lifestyle), constant travel means being away from home Monday through Thursday.

The immense growth of the Firm in the early 2000s means that the quality of engagements is variable. Some studies are for C-suite executives; others may be for CEO - 8 execs.

Advice to Management

The Firm is an amazing place because of its people. Keep up the great hiring and promotion work!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Believe me - it's just not worth it.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When one leaves, the name opens doors.

Cons

Work-work balance. Horrible for anyone with a significant other because of the long hours and unpredictable travel requirements. Any company with such a high attrition rate is that way for a reason.

Pressure-packed and stressful.

End-product is almost always unsatisfactory and at the cost, one feels happy they are not investing in the client with the exorbitant fees The Firm charges.

I have rarely met someone who has left McKinsey that wasn't entirely satisfied with their decision when they realized the relief of no longer working there.

It is all about perspective - can be a highly lucrative launchpad!

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time

Pros

Mckinsey & Company is an intense, ever changing environment where either you flourish or you don't. It can be an immensely great opportunity as a springboard to your next great thing - especially if you can network well. High volume of work can expose you to a lot - but you either sink or swim (it can also be a con like I said it's all about perspective). As an Engagement Manager you deal from product start to finish. I definitely enjoyed working there as I am very aggressive and ambitious and it helped that I had an awesome team. I can not stress enough the importance of clear, concise, effective communication!!!!!! Because your colleagues have a wealth of knowledge - if you can effectively tap into that it will make everything easier, efficient, and a heck of a lot more interesting. In regards to compensation - it's good but look at it as the doorway to even greater compensation if/once you bridge out - this is first hand knowledge!!!!!

Cons

While you are there, it will be difficult to balance anything else. Long work hours, high volume of work- so work life balance is what you make of it. Attention EM's: if your team sucks you will need to really work on your communication skills, otherwise it's going to be a rough ride. As an EM if your arrogance is not commensurate to your talent you will also find it very stressful - I put this as a con considering the very nature of a large group EA's within the company (being a lunatic does not directly correlate to being successful nor does it augment the opening of doors the inverse, however, is true). Job security if you don't pull your weight.