McKinsey & Company

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Incredible opportunity to work with leading companies, top government officials and thinkers to tackle some of the most challenging issues in the world today. Over the past year I have participated in many professional development courses, have pushed myself to be a better communicator and thinker. McKinsey has greatly supported me in developing core business skills. I am glad I came here.

Cons

Long hours, lots of travel - can be difficult on personal life. I think I have accumulated 200,000 frequent flier miles this year, and I have no desire to use them because the last thing I want to do is to get back on a plane for vacation!

Make sure to continue to support Associates in pursuing their interests within the firm.

1028 Other Employee Reviews for McKinsey & Company (View Most Recent)

Great option generator, not always fun though.

Current Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Great feedback, great training, great brand name for your resume. You can work on a variety of different projects and get exposure to a number of industries. Your freedom depends on your performance though and if you don't perform, you might not get the full range of choices on what to work on.

Cons

Work life balance is somewhat lacking. Projects can be driven by high-level managers without a good sense of what the team does on the ground. Working as a consultant in general can be frustrating because you aren't actually implementing the recommendations you make. At the same time, you do make high-level recomendations to high-level execs.

Be more careful to balance clients' needs with those of staff

Neutral

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Interesting and relevant work - i believe I work on more diverse topics and have more visibility than I would have anywhere else
    bright people - everybody you work with has an advanced degree from a top school and is very well accomplished
    steep learning curve - this is something very important - I was expected to and I have always learned something from everyone I worked with

Cons

Brutal hours
    24x7 up or out pressure - unfortunatelly there always seem to have some dire consequence if you do not performe, there is a negative reinforcement
    travel - expect at least 3 nights per week away

Some of the partners are not as worried as they should be with associate development

There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company