Intense

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Network of colleagues
Backoffice support
Great learining and training
Interesting people

Cons

Political
Ruthless with experienced hires
Poor feedback

Other Reviews for McKinsey & Company

I enjoyed the people that I worked with - generally everyone is very respectful.

Former Employee - IT Help Desk  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Help Desk in Chicago, IL

I worked at McKinsey & Company

Pros

People are generally respectful and grateful for your services. The salary is above average.

Cons

IT department is centralized, so you don't get as much fun or 'cutting edge' stuff IT to do in an office outside of the Firm IT office.

More autonomy to local office IT departments. Although centralizing may bring financial advantages, each office has some differences in their computer needs and knows best how to hand issues locally.

Excellent early training in business communication; less excellent training in business thinking

Former Employee - Associate/EM  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate/EM in New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company

Pros

I began my career at McKinsey and was proud to work there. The pay was far better than I would have gotten as a Ph.D. (no comparison, really), and I liked the prestige of the role.

Business has its own language, and McKinsey is probably the best company in the world to learn how to speak it. There's an idiom to how to disagree, introduce controversial ideas, solicit opinion, etc., and your time at McKinsey is like an immersion class. This will serve you well in any kind of business career.

Also, the lifestyle and perks are considerably better than most of the corporate world. McKinsey people are always enviously comparing themselves to finance people, so they feel underpaid and overworked, but in fact you get a huge amount of administrative support, travel very comfortably, and generally live on a rich expense account. It's only having left the firm that I see how whiny and spoiled people are who complain about those things.

Cons

While the communication training is exemplary, the thinking is far less so. McKinsey trains you to think in terms of impressive powerpoint exhibits that show a great deal of "analysis" was done to justify the enormous billings. That doesn't mean that the presentations are literally dishonest or cynical; rather, it's that the goal is always "impressing the client," rather than actually making a substantive difference or arriving at a rigorous conclusion. That's the dominant axis by which you advance in the firm, so it's inevitable. The problem is that this advice is often bland, superficial, and uninformed by the realities of operating a business, which the vast majority of McKinsey consultants (including the most senior partnership) have never done. Countless times I toiled over (and delivered) presentations that pieced together a few inconclusive scraps of information into a conclusion that felt completely pre-determined. Again, this is a skill worth having in business and life, since persuasion is so important even when the facts are scarce. But it got to feel ridiculous at times at McKinsey, I must say.

Also, an oft-repeated observation bears restating: McKinsey consultants are unbearably arrogant. I mean, really obnoxiously, cloyingly, patronizingly arrogant. I've interacted with many since my time there, and I shudder to think that I used to behave and speak that way.

Work on the arrogance, please.

There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company.

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!