McLaren Regional Medical Center

www.mclarenhealthcare.org
  www.mclarenhealthcare.org
There are newer employer reviews for McLaren Regional Medical Center

Palatable, if you can deal with tenuous job security and out-of-touch management.

Current Employee - I See All Sides in Flint, MI
Current Employee - I See All Sides in Flint, MI

I have been working at McLaren Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

~Nice staff & patient population.
~Pay is competitive (despite location).
~Routine opportunities for CE.
~RNs have good union, it seems.
~Focusing more on evidence-based medicine, applying to hospital policies with senior staff input. (however, motivation is monetary)
~New, super-cool Proton Beam radiation center almost open! VERY forward thinking (will be sixth in the U.S.!) Good for patients, McLaren and community!!!
~Concierge Service: paid for by McLaren, these folks will take your car for an oil change, get your groceries, run your errands while U R @work. Very Nice people; convenient and a great perk for working here.
~Steady work.
~Admins are polite in hallways.
~CEO matches employee donations to United Way!

Cons

~Administration can focus too much on a short-term goal, looses feel of day-to-day management issues. (know your house and how to keep it in order)
~Knee-jerk reaction to issue-resolution; not including info from workers/ stakeholders/ support staff into the decision-making process. (if so, decisions would command more respect) (know how to get your house back in order, peacefully)
~Underlying tension of Admin-vs-workers is distracting background static in every interaction.
~"not-for-profit" the most blatant lie. McLaren Healthcare Corporation, with many hospitals under her wing, makes huge "profit" because she can force supplies to lower prices, due to her awesome purchasing power. Therefore: 1) Everything provided by the lowest bidder: suplies, EMR. 2) Profits not returned to infrastructure nor working people; Admins get the bonuses. As the world turns, so does "not-for-profit"
~Those w/o union are employed at-will. I've seen 'em come, & I've seen 'em go... You have been warned...

1) Most staff want to do a great job for a long time, with a winning team in a secure environment. Invest a little more time and you will see this (and you will see those who are not team players). (Know your house and how to keep it in order)
2) We'll be more understanding of your mistakes, if you are understanding of ours. Let's grow together : )
3) Let's not compromise patient care because we were pinching a penny with short staff. Hospitals need some redundancy to cover in-house emergencies. Perhaps Management/ Admins are short-staffed as well, eh?
4) Hang in there! You can do it!

13 Other Employee Reviews for McLaren Regional Medical Center (View Most Recent)

Overall my experience there was alright, but, not what is expected from an employer in this field.

Former Employee - Interventional Radiology/Resource Pool RN in Petoskey, MI
    Former Employee - Interventional Radiology/Resource Pool RN in Petoskey, MI

I worked at McLaren Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Close knit community, good learning experiences. The location is great for people who love the outdoors and four season activity.

Cons

Salary range low for RN profession and RNs are not treated well. Support staff such as kitchen help, maintenance and security are treated better.

Treat your core nursing staff better. Travel RNs shouldn't be treated or put on a higher level than your core nursing staff.

Support Services

Current Employee - Support Services in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Support Services in Flint, MI

I have been working at McLaren Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has pretty good benefits. McLaren has always been know for it's service. For me the location couldn't be better.

Cons

Human Resources is corrupt. It used to be that you could hire in a work your way up. Now, every job even entry level, when applying you are given the explanation someone with more qualifications was given the job. How? They are outsourcing at an unbelievable rate. They are cutting the employee benefits at an unbelievable rate, and the turnover in the new hire employee's is absolutely terrible. They hire casual employee's and work them like they are F/T. In doing this
    they have a tremendous overturn, As an employee I don't think this is they way to "Stardom". It is a way of poor work ethic. Period. The best managers are the ones that have done the job. They are hiring managers that have NO HOSPITAL EXPERIENCE. If you manage a gas station you cannot come in to a hospital environment and know what you are doing.

Stop the turnover in your managers. Something is wrong when you have the kind of turnover in employees and managers at Mclaren Reg. The turnover seems to me needs to be with the upper management. They are taking the company down the wrong road. Nurse managers that are there for 6 months then gone. Come on. You hired people that are not familier with the basics at McLaren. Have never done the job or managed. There is a reason for this and the community is aware. McLarens ratings are the worst they have ever been, yet they are making money hand over fist. Advice: Go back to employing your own management teams. They fantastic. They knew the jobs because they DID THEM. The place is total caous, no good leadership in Support Services. Five years ago I would have NEVER SAID that!

There are newer employer reviews for McLaren Regional Medical Center